Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I need to get everyone's ideas for the best way to paint the grille on our Saabs. Here is what I did and used, but it still crackles away from the chrome....

1. Separate chrome part from grille.

2. Sand down chrome, until no shiny spots remain...

3. Spray on Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter onto chrome...Let dry.

4. Spray on Dupli-Color Black Paint...Three Coats until covered...Let dry...

5. Spray on clear Dupli-Color Top Coat...Two coats...Let dry...

Should I try and remove the chrome? But then there is a layer of nickel...

Any ideas? Get them down here. Cause I just bought a 9-5 Grille, the new style...And I want it black...

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I wrote you a message bout this, but I found out from a third source that a 9-5 grill won't fit.

Anyways about painting, I plan to sand down to the white plastic, primer with a flexible primer, paint, then clear coat.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Ok, so I did the grill thing with my spare grille. I did the outer part black and then I thought I'd try something a little different and paint the inner "grid" portion in metallic silver.

I sanded the chrome like mad, I used a drill with one of those drum sander attachments and super coarse paper. It worked well, but maybe too well. I think I took it too far - on some spots I accidentally took off chrome completely near the edges and also took a few small chunks out of the grille! Good thing it is painted black now, the bad spots blend in with the shadows! Then I did a few coats of Bond-Aid adhesion promoter. Then dupicolor paint (4 coats) and 3 coats of clear coat.

For the inside I used a few coats of bond aid , a few coats of primer, and a few coats of silver paint, that one held up much better!

I need to do it over again because I took a long trip on the highway and it already chipped off like crazy. This time I think I will try adhesion promoter, then primer, then paint, then clear coat, then let it cure for several days....The silver part held up much better, I think it is because of the primer. (I was told by the guy at the hardware store that I probably didn't need primer because of the adhesion promoter. yeah, right! Thanks, buddy!)

Anyways, here are some preliminary pics, like I said, you can see the chipping in some of the pics, so it will have to be done over again. (maybe this time I will be more patient and allow for thinner coats and more drying time!) next time maybe I will be able to squeeze some silver mesh in there, too....

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good, but once again we hit the same problem of the paint crackling off in spots...I used adhesion promoter without primer like you did, maybe that's why it's not holding on...Also, Cedric mentioned that plumber's epoxy will stick to anything and it's paintable, so we should try to cover the grille in plumber's expoxy then primer and paint it. I am also looking into a local plating co. that might be able to remove the chrome all together....I wonder how those damn Sweeds do it so well....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts