Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch has been hard to bleed. After slave replacement and master resealing a while back, I tried for a very long time to bleed it, and got it "good enough" but not perfect (a little free play at top of pedal, but enough to still shift smoothly). I am guessing this is due to a one way (in) leak in the system, that hasn't really changed in a while, but got slightly worse over the course of 4-6 months.

Are you tired of:
-Dealing with finicky vacuum bleeders?
-Messing around with gimmicky Shraeder valve reservoir caps and bike pumps?
-Constructing goofy devises using bike inner tubes?
-Wasting your valuable time waiting for gravity to do the work?

Well, then go to your local pet supply store, and buy one of those oversized syringes with a tapered "business end" (not a needle or threaded end). I borrowed one from the ever-gracious dog owner oliversexpedition, which was a 60cc unit.

Hook this up to your clear hose, with good brake fluid at hand.

1. Fill unit with fluid, and remove all air before proceeding
2. Hook up to bleeder nipple and open reservoir and nipple, and push all fluid through into the system, closing the nipple before you get to the end of the syringe's travel. Remove hose from apparatus.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, but instead of closing the nipple at the end of step 2, once you are at the end of the syringe's travel slowly suck out fluid (seriously, do it slow), and make gentle and quick shifts between applying pressure and vacuum as you ease the fluid out of the system. Any air should come out of the system. This back and forth motion is what really speeds up the air coming out of the system without just sucking all the fluid into the syringe.

This whole process took me under 3 minutes (not counting removing the IC hose to get at the nipple), and is amazing. Kudos to my Uncle Art for suggesting the maneuver.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I don't like the valve on top of the res cap, too easy to pump air right back into the system.

The syringe method does work well from people I know who have tried it. I've always used my pressure bleeder, but that's just because that's what I have around!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I don't like the valve on top of the res cap, too easy to pump air right back into the system.

The syringe method does work well from people I know who have tried it. I've always used my pressure bleeder, but that's just because that's what I have around!
X2 the syringe works great, i have a vac pump that pull the fluid into a reservoir that works awesome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts