Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought another c900!

The search begins for correct headlight bezels.

Neat rear badge, and a hitch!

Little bits of rust here and there, nothing in the main structure.

Came with 3 extra rust free doors, 2 extra TRX wheels and some other "stuff"

Idled great, rand great, shifted and stayed in gear (better than SPG) Never overheated. Shifter does feel wobbly.

The more modern steering wheel and seat belts need to go. There is a horn problem and maybe the newer wheel has something to do with it.

Some fender rust and dry rotted tires.

I want to try and track down what the original color was.

·
7,595 Posts
Huu, interesting. I see many 1979-80 specific components. Well good luck with it, if it runs, drives and starts when hot, someone took care of it mechanically. Those TRX wheels... not only do they have $2000 tires, they look rather horrific

I would also not recommend testing out the full functionality of the 8000 RPM tach.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Congrats on the find, Ben!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You should turn it into a hearse....but instead of having dead bodies in there you could have cases of booze that slide out on those cool rails that they have in there. There should also be smokers kit with pipes...etc.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Totally Sweet!

I can't wait to see it in person.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome, I have a soft spot for '79 and '80 900's. They seem so pure and clean compared to the later ones that had all sorts of plastic pieces cobbled on. Kind of like a 99 but with more engine bay space.
This one is definatly a mix-match of various early C900 stuff... a previous owner must had good access to parts!
As noted the bezels with the marker light are not correct, the dual vent hood has been replaced with one with a center roundel. The rear bumper is a later one with the wide chrome and the front spoiler is an 81-84 3dr turbo piece. The seats are 81+ and the lower body trim strip is the 82+ wider variety as well. The rear hatch probably came off an '80 or '81 3dr turbo, with the center lights and the spoiler (5 dr did not have a spoiler standard and the center lights and 5spd didnt come out until 80). The front signal lenses with the thin white strip are original.
Awesome that it still has the B motor turbo! Judging from the engine bay pic I'd say that the original color was anthracite grey metallic, a pretty common color for the early turbo.
Nice find, seems like its a solid enough foundation to be worthy of putting some time and effort into.

Luke

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Ah - now I can view those pictures. Looks nice! Should come back if it doesn't sit too long at "mom's" place. I have a set of the early seat belt buckles which were standard in the 1978 99 Turbo cars... you may be interested in those ;) I also have 2 fair to poor shame "EMS" wheels - one center pad which could fix that wheel issue too. Good find!

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gasp.....what a looker where did you find it?
Richmond Craigslist.

79 B turbo 5dr...awesome. Tweeking it or staying original? Don't think I could stop myself from at least doing a brake/axle upgrade with some sway bars
For now it seems to be doing fine in it's current state.

Sweet!

Neat rarity. What are your plans for it?
Not sure, maybe eventually doing a T5 16valve swap. I have a spare SPG. I do want to sort out the body first. Saabnazi has a great body guy, Carl Bladik (sp?)

Bizzare Saab, but a cool find in a great color. 85-86 SPG front and rear extensions would look great on it. Good luck with her.
Wow, what a find.

What are your plans? Resto? Can't wait to see it all cleaned up.
For the time being, finish what is done/missing. Saabnazi didn't think he had the headlight bezels I need, and the chin spoiler is missing a part but I saw a 4 door at Jessup that should have it, or the SPG at Mt Airy.

Awesome, I have a soft spot for '79 and '80 900's. They seem so pure and clean compared to the later ones that had all sorts of plastic pieces cobbled on. Kind of like a 99 but with more engine bay space.
This one is definatly a mix-match of various early C900 stuff... a previous owner must had good access to parts!
As noted the bezels with the marker light are not correct, the dual vent hood has been replaced with one with a center roundel. The rear bumper is a later one with the wide chrome and the front spoiler is an 81-84 3dr turbo piece. The seats are 81+ and the lower body trim strip is the 82+ wider variety as well. The rear hatch probably came off an '80 or '81 3dr turbo, with the center lights and the spoiler (5 dr did not have a spoiler standard and the center lights and 5spd didnt come out until 80). The front signal lenses with the thin white strip are original.
Awesome that it still has the B motor turbo! Judging from the engine bay pic I'd say that the original color was anthracite grey metallic, a pretty common color for the early turbo.
Nice find, seems like its a solid enough foundation to be worthy of putting some time and effort into.

Luke
It actually does have the dual vent hood, just seems somebody glued on the badge. And the guy who owned it before the guy I bought it off of worked for Dominion Saab in Richmond.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.