Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you but my wife already told me where to stick it so, :eek:

I am awaiting the delivery of a new 5" Garmin. In the other thread on the cheap cup holders, well that kind of left out my main proposed location that had to do with velcro and the cup thingie.

So, since I hate having anything in my line of vision and hate the sticky marks left by the suction cup, I am searching for a spot to put it where it won't block critical dials or buttons.

Only thing comes to mind is the open spot for junk below the radio and in front of the shifter. I usually put sunglasses in there with some change.

Any hints? Sometimes you stare at the obvious and then wham? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
In my GTO, I mounted it where the ashtray used to be, powered by what was the lead to the cigarette lighter.

Is something similar possible in 9-3?

Before:

Remove headunit:

Remove center console fascia trim:

Installed and dash buttoned up:

Start the car, and the Nuvi starts right up:

And when the car is shut off, the Nuvi shuts off after 30 seconds.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy cow! That is nice. I don't think I would have to do that much because there is an that shelf for glasses or stuff.

Where the heck did you get that "cone" that fits into the dash and then the nuvi sits in it. It ties the whole thing up in a professional look?

Wow! :shock:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Thanks. I must confess, an Australian company, JHP, (http://www.jhp.com.au/jhpgto/GPSBezel.htm) made the bezel ("cone"). Several different size mounts are available -- wide screen Nuvi, TomTom, etc.

Some cutting with a Dremel was still required to fit the flip-up antenna, provide for the power lead, etc. The radio headunit itself simply holds the entire assembly in place. The entire set-up is completely reversable.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few years ago I used to "launder money" under her nose. I was working an the OT checks, well as long as I handed a few over I got away with a lot of stuff, like the Borla and stuff.

She hit the roof when I spent $60 on a Saab ball cap and some decals (British shipping costs gone wild), she just paid for the GPS and if she found out I paid almost as much for the trim as she paid for the unit. My "unit" would .. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put mine in the same place that you're thinking about. it's fine except that it slides around every once in a while. panavise has a metal clip thingy that is inserted near the top of the cd player, to the side and the gps unit attaches to the clip. i have one that i bought from a guy on here but i've just been too lazy to figure it all out.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The off chance I use (read: borrow) one I suction it to the very bottom right corner of the front windshield. This way it is not in my line of vision and it's easier to glance over at than hiding below like a cupholder/tray/whatever. Just like checking your passenger mirror.

Sure, I guess it could leave suction marks if I used it often enough, but those are out of your line of vision too.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
The off chance I use (read: borrow) one I suction it to the very bottom right corner of the front windshield. This way it is not in my line of vision and it's easier to glance over at than hiding below like a cupholder/tray/whatever. Just like checking your passenger mirror.

Sure, I guess it could leave suction marks if I used it often enough, but those are out of your line of vision too.
yeah - and when you need to change some information in it or just reach it - I'm sure it's real safe being way over there (when by yourself). I'm a fan of center bottom windscreen for the reasons you have above - ppl who have it in front of their face while driving are idiots. I've also liked it on the d/s lower left corner - as you described above, it clears all needed viewing area and creates less of a distraction - until you need to fiddle with it.

I like the GTO install - simple, clean, effective.

·
Registered
709 Posts
yeah - and when you need to change some information in it or just reach it - I'm sure it's real safe being way over there (when by yourself).
Haha, yeah I forgot to mention that the only times I used GPS I had a passenger...

The GTO install is SUPER clean. I would keep this in mind if I ever get a system of my own.

I think my favorite install though is the people who slap it right in their line of vision as if they were watching TV and you wonder how they see around it in the first place :roll:.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Thanks for the comps.

Yeah, when I used to mount to the windshield I did nest to th mirror so it was visible but not obtrusive.

And when'd the car was parked, I would take it down and wipe the suction cup marks off--never leaving it mounted nor any evidence of having one in the first place to tempt burglars.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the comps.

Yeah, when I used to mount to the windshield I did nest to th mirror so it was visible but not obtrusive.

And when'd the car was parked, I would take it down and wipe the suction cup marks off--never leaving it mounted nor any evidence of having one in the first place to tempt burglars.
See, I find having it up by the mirror obstructs my view, not to mention the power cord. I mount my mine in the lower left corner of the windshield. It's easy to train your eyes to glance at it after checking the side view mirror.

I live in a pretty safe part of town but I still take the unit with me and put the mount and cord in the glove box if I'm at the grocery store or something. Other than that my car is mostly garaged. If I'm at my brothers downtown it all goes inside with me and the marks from suction cup are wiped off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts