Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just kinda thinking ahead a little bit but what i would like to do is place the viggen 2.3 in the place of my 2.0....I would ultimatly like to be in the 290+ range of hp and would like to have the 2.3. but just curious has anyone done this before? would the motor mounts be the same and would the transmission from my 2.0 be able to be used for the viggen? i would probally need a viggen ecu too as well correct? there are other thing i wanna do before getting the engine so i just kinda planning things out....any replys would be appriciated, thanks :D

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
your trans would work, however the Viggen transmissions have much taller gearing so yours would not be taking full advantage of a Viggen motor with mods. It should work tho with no/little issues. The 2.3T motors are good to about 350hp if you got the pockets to mod the living outta it. (Prolly far more, but average ppl don't spend that much on a Saab :lol: ) Remember - the Saab Viggen Pikes Peak is 800RHP out of a AWD set up and a 6 speed gear box powered from the 2.0T mounted vertically in a 9-3. Anything is possible with the right funds. I say go for it - a 2.3T motor in good running shape can run you from $50-several thousand - all depends where and how you get one. Junk yards around here sell them for about $50-$100 with everything - usually the turbos and exhaust manifolds are taken tho as soon as it's put out for picking tho. (those are 9000 2.3T and n/a 2.3 motors I'm talking about) But good luck man!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Personally I don't think you'd have many problems.

If you did get a Viggen B235R engine, I'd just be sure to get the motor mounts as well, and possibly upgrade to Taliaferro's urethane tranny mount.

For the transmission, the Viggen does have a different transmission, so it would probably need to be replaced as well. Plus I'm sure its the most reliable.

About the ECU, I'd suggest you trade out your old ECU with a Viggen ECU, but you'd most likely be better off simply reprogramming your current ECU for upgraded performance. Im sure a tuning company like Maptun or SQR can tell you the best way to accomplish this.

It seems like a pretty good idea, but have you thought of just porting the engine and adding different better pistons? I say that because it may be cheaper, and Viggen pistons have known to have problems when running at boost for high periods of time.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Coops93 said:
Porting and getting diff pistons had crossed my mind but i would have no clue as to where i could get that done at around here...how big could you take a 2.0 to? would the shop thatt did the work be able to recommend a good head for it? good replys so far thanks :D
I'll inquire at a Saab dealership for you in Kansas City. I've been told they do porting and polishing on the side, and after some discussing they may do it for you. No guarantees of course.

Just wondering however, but how much do you plan to spend on a project this size?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was thinking about swapping a viggen motor also. I planned on selling my 2.0 to someone so that would save me a little money on buying the viggen motor.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Ok.....

I'm midway through an engine swap, which I planned long before my dad said, "Why'd you want to do something like that?" Old 2.0L engine from 97 SET has 134K miles, new motor has 15K miles from 01 9-3 SE (Viggen turbo, yeah!)
Warning: It's a massive PITA....

But....If I had to do mine all over again, and had the choice, I'd take the more robust 234R engine from a 9000 Aero/CSE over a Viggen engine, which supposedly isn't as overbuilt as the previous 2.3L Aero versions. (There's a Saabnet post from a few months ago detailing the specific differences...) There are probably more of these available than Viggen engines, and they're capable of more output.. .hese are the 2.3L powerplants that can go to 350 bhp...I would love to have a monster like that.

FYI: SQR Stage 4 mods can get 290 bhp from the 205hp 9-3 SE engine without going to a bigger turbo or specialized intake. It's definitely a cost-effective alternative to a Viggen engine. Upgrade the intercooler, injectors and intake, port the throttle body like that Yankton-tuned beast, and you're dancing in the 300 bhp range...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts