Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the intercooler today, bar and plate design. quite nice if I do say so myself :D Looks like I'll have to make about a 1" slot in the rad support for the outlets (I was expecting this) and run pipework. should be good to go after that. This thing looks like it's going to be reeeal nice :twisted:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
whered you pic it up at?
Where do ya think he got it :lol: e-bay! I may hafta consider a upgrade as well for my SPG intercooler. I'd like to get a DSM unit - not hard - and a small increase in flow for a near stock size unit.

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I have it in now, one word- Awesome!!! spool up is even better than stock, and I can't saturate it. 75% of the cooler is directly behind the grill (that's all you can see behind the grill- intercooler!) :lol: instant power increase. at just 14 PSI with a standard T3, this thing is MUCH faster than it was with the stock intercooler. the install is flawless too. retains all bumper brackets, air conditioning, and all the OEM items are in their original location (no need to move the radiator) only part that was shaved was about 1" on each side of the radiator supports for the turbo pipe work. NO danger of damage from bottoming out, and this pipework job is REALLY good if I do say so myself. pictures to come later

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is what I got. the card got full so I'll have to take some finished pictures tomorrow, but this shows the basic orientation and the pipework set up for the intercooler. I also have some shots of the slots that need to be made in the radiator support.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Now the same guy you bought that from doesn't have any more and doesn't build them either so I am in need of one myself for my project - however e-bay is proving to be useless for the size requirements..... MAX 25" long (total) and MAX 2" Deep - Tall (Height) can be and should be between 8" and say 18" - if anyone know where I can score one for a decents price - let me know asap! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
rcmdesign said:
Quick question. Is it bad to block the radiator like that so much?
doesnt really matter since the air flows through the intercooler just like it does through the radiator. there might be a tiny increase in rad temperature, but i wouldnt imagine it would be enough to cause problems unless your cooling system is already in bad shape.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah like most intercooled cars, the intercooler is in front of the radiator and the air conditioning condenser. if anything, it may cause the fans to cycle more often on a very hot day but any properly working cooling system will have no problem with keeping the temp in spec. the endtanks DO block about 10% of the radiator, but their is about 1/2" airgap between them and the radiator so even that should get flow.

basically it does not affect air draw to any measurable degree and with the air condition running the air going into the radiator assuming it's about 85 degrees outside would probably be around 100 degrees. I mean I don't think I would like to sit idling in new Mexico in 120 degree heat for an hour with the AC running but any conditions I encounter around my parts should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
When you put an intercooler up to the radiator like that you should at least have some space between them, or you’re going to be getting lot of heat soak from the radiator. Maybe some foam pieces like a quarter of an inch thick or a half inch think should be enough.

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's exactly what I did :lol: also, it's not sitting on the rad, it's in front of the AC condenser core.

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a request from another member for more pics of this. This is an FMIC install that retains A/C.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts