Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No not that kind, I got geohtermal heat for my house, got the first bill and I can say its a great deal ( if you get all the rebates and tax credits)

I needed as many deductions as possible this year after pulling in big$$$ from my retirement stock option and deferred comp payouts...

I know not all you have houses and I do lean green, but for me its a numbers game, I needed new system and the costs for a high eficiency gas+HVAC vs the Geo except the added cost for the wells ( $8600) and 3k for me. After the 30% tax credit it was pretty close ( 5 grand more for Geo)and now my bill came.

My electric usage compared to last year was only $57 more and the avg daily temp was 4 degrees cooler here this year than last year ( and $0 for gas - was 180 last MONTH) and I am running the house 2 degrees warmer during living times now too.... double Win...

I figured that if over the year I save 100 bucks a month, break-even is in 5 years ( if gas and electirc stay the same better the more the delta is for Gas over Electic)

And if all goes well, solar is up next, and I hope to go off the grid sometime this summer

F PECO....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That's great news! We have overseen the installation of a couple of Geothermal systems on some of our new construction jobs here at work. When I get fed up with renting, I plan on building or renovating to LEED specs and using as much renewable energy as possible. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tranquility Series : ClimateMaster

Here it is, the cost of the wells is high were I am ( not many well drillers here) I have heard 4500-6500is doable in lancaster and farther out. But it would not have been worth it without the tax credits, I am in the 35% bracket and own my primary home out-right, the beach house is a rental too, when I fully retire and conver that to my primary i will do it there too

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great news! We have overseen the installation of a couple of Geothermal systems on some of our new construction jobs here at work. When I get fed up with renting, I plan on building or renovating to LEED specs and using as much renewable energy as possible. Good stuff!
My plan is to be as far off the grid as possible when I retire, no bills other that upkeep and property taxes, that way I am annuitizing my current $$ for the future and hedging against inflation, ( which will come)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts