Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Ahh yes this should be VERY good. Of course the R32 may win.

R32:

Angled 6 Cyl.
240hp stock
fairly light
AWD system

·
Registered
361 Posts
Errr ... maybe ... but from a roll it probably wouldn't.

Viggen:

Horsepower [email protected],000 rpm (according to my dyno run)
Torque [email protected],000 " "
Curb weight 3170 according to owners manual

Golf:
Horsepower 240 @ 6250 RPM
Torque 236 @ 2800 RPM
Curb Weight 3409 lbs.

Viggen would own the Golf ...

Adrian~

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think from a standstill the R32 would win(awd) but the low torque numbers knda kill that. i know from a roll the viggen would own. i mean what can touch a viggen from a roll? a GTP maybe

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
my money is on the r32, it doesn't matter the weight and hp and torque ratings at all, it's all in the gears, and the driver, you could put a blender motor in a mack truck and gear it right and it'll be faster than a mclaren, sure it'd be a lot of gears and a lot of work, but it's possible, it's all in the gears, and the r32 is geared all low end, and the viggen is all top end, in the 1/4 i'd say r32, on highway top speed i'd say viggen

~justin

·
Registered
361 Posts
Gearing only matters because it puts your hp in a different place. The Viggen has such a broad hp band that the gearing isn't terribly important. That business about a blender in a Mac truck, I hope that was a joke. :lol: Musta been ...

At any rate, from 30 mph+, unless the R32 is very very underrated, the Viggen would own it. Remember, the Evo 8 is lighter than the R32, has more power, good gear ratios, and from a moving start still gets pulled by a Viggen. But if someone in So Cal has an R32 and wants to find out for sure let me know. ;)

Adrian~

p.s. C'mon look how broad the Viggen's powerband is. I mean just LOOK at it! :eek:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I think those jagged edges on the Viggen dyno graph is due to the ignition system. I was watching Speed channel's "Two guys Garage" and they talked about this. A supplemental ignition system may solve that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Or it could be due to my bent wheel. ;) Just a thought ...

btw a "supplimental" ignition system on a Direct Ignition Saab would be a waste of Money. The stock one is easily up to the job of 600+ hp ... in fact, the DI rack in the Hillclimb Viggen is straight off a factory car.

I think the problem could also be the platimun plugs. They're known to cause the ECU to "freak out" in performance applications. Has to do with the way the Saab ECU senses knock and Pre-ignition. The IGS system relies on ionization of NOx, but the platinum plugs artificially ionize it when it is catalyzed on their platinum surface (your catalytic converter has a platinum element for this reason) ... so I may try some of the standard plugs soon. Plus it's due for a change.

Adrian~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts