Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so even though I am not going to do this any time soon because my engine runs just fine... but in the years to come I know eventually it will go put put fizzle. So here's is my question.....if the car is in good condition I wanna keep the body but I'll need a new engine. SO my question would be as I am saving up for it once I get a good job... should I install another 4 cylinder turbo charged or a new v6 and turbocharge it? I was thinking the v6 because you can only get so much out of a 4 banger, but I am new to cars so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can a 4 banger engine beat the v6turbocharged or even super charged? Like it doesn't make sense to me. Someone please explain.

·
Registered
610 Posts
In theory, you're right. But factor in the following:

1) the 2.3 engine is a Saab's marvel of engineering, perfected by decades of evolution, while the 3.0 turbo was a quick adaptation of a first suitable V6 sample from a corporate stable to satisfy the North American hunger for bigger displacement;

2) the 2.3 is strong and has a lot of unrealized potential. People are taking it over 300 hp with stock internals, while we have yet to see a single V6 that went that far;

3) the tuner market for 3.0t is virtually non-existent, while you can find an immense number of upgrade choices for 4-cylinder Saabs.

Shall I continue? ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
300hp with a 4 banger? Dang I am there. If I didn't have a warranty I would so do that..... the future shows promise though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Osiris,

I was like you, because I kept thinking about size without considering design.

That SAAB 4 banger.., is actually considered a hemispherical overhead cam design..., and a lot of the components are built to last. Add a few tricks to improve boost, and your practically making that car do tricks only others can dream about., with a lighter motor but durable motor. The torque numbers exceeds most engines on today's market.

Have you checked the usable torque relative to the HP ratings on one of these 4 bangers....? At least on my NG I was impressed....but the Viggen 2.3.., that's a serious torquer. The car is like some egyptian pyramid left for us to try and figure out. With just minor changes on a car like that...300hp is probaby a lot easier to get to than most.

Some pretty smart guys at SAAB...just too bad they let GM get a hold of it....cause it seems like they had to restart the clock....

·
Registered
475 Posts
GM is GM :roll: but lets keep in mind Saab would be out of business by now if they had not been bailed out. Besides, the NG 900, 9-3 and 9-5 are all on Opel platforms. Only 9000 and C900 owners can really gripe about GM. The rest of us are driving GM cars!

The pyramid comment is spot on. These cars are very complex and tempermental. Tuning needs to be done very carefully especially with later model Saabs (Trionic 7). Keep things cool, let things breathe, and get the right software!

DC Saab what part of the area are you in? Im out in Centreville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts