Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says im going to look at an 86 900 this week...
this one to be more specific....

im really pumped, but i dont want to go into it just looking to buy without any clue..(i do that alot, my heart comes first before my head with cars lol)
now the car also is not a skip away.. its an 11 hr drive.. so i want to make sure it will make it to my house... my main question is WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR??

i know a decent amount of common problems with these but i want to know what some of the hidden problems might be.. i know to ckeck the h/g, timing chain tension. control arm for rust.. wineing in 3rd/5th. bassically all the normal wear and tear items.(im a capible mechanic for the past 7 or so years) its just i have never owned a c900 and dont want to get a heap..

lmk what you guys think/look for when getting a c900 of this vintage!!:wink:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leaving in the AM!!!! im pumped!!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Awesome!! I really hope you snag this. Bullnose Airflow in white = amazing.

Make sure the trans doesn't pop out of gear (esp. 2nd on decel) and watch for gear whine at highway speeds. Also do some full-lock turns and verify that there's no clicking from the CVs.

Also check the boost needle at WOT, quite often you'll find c900 turbos boosting lower than they should. Usually a simple fix but still.

Good luck to you! Please buy it.

Also check for little stuff, like: Does reverse lockout work? Does the shifter spin? All gauges work? Windows, all electrics, etc?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should have been more specific... TOMMOROW am haha... it will be an 11 hour adventure so as long as the car isnt rusted thru i will be getting it!!.. he did say that it will need a new drivers widow motor and possible clutch master cyl in the future... it has been in the same family since 86(bought brand new by his bro-ski) so it has been taken care of, for anyone to keep a car for 24 years it has gotta be worth something to them..only thing im a little concerened about is he said he doesnt think the chain has ever been replaced(possible bargaining point,...) but he did say there is a few boxes of recipts and such, so maybe its in there and he just over passed it..

thanks for all the pointers and good wishes.. i really hope this plays out for me.. guy seems really cool too, they are going to let me use thier current tags to drive home as well!! gotta love saab families!!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for grins...what's the asking price??
he was asking 3k i told him i would be willing to start around 2500 and he was good with that.. i just found out that the chain and head gasket have been done in 06.. all new brakes in 07.. exhaust in 07 so as long as the rust is confined to only a small amount under the door moulding i will gladly pay it..

on a lighter note.. waxed the g/f's 9k up for the trip(and a slight advantage in mpgs;) )

bringing an extra battery , d.i. cartridge , full size jack , full size rim/tire range of tools... i think we will be goooood!!! she just had a h/g timing chain done last week by a very reputable saab tech.. all the fluids are in order etc etc ...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Look up inside the arches under those flairs. That car does look great in the pics, obviously cared for so it'll probably be clean. I did get bit by a c900 with an airflow package because those arches were not installed properly.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its in north carolina .. and im from ct... hahaha 360 miles down 300 to go!!!!! what else was i to do with a weekend off??

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
didnt my buddy steve buy your green 9K aero from you a couple months back? I had that blue/red C900 turbo sedan...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ yes that was me! i remeber that c900.. haha thing was like an old rat rod ...
as for spending time with my g/f... she came with me!.. she loves this type of shit... she has accually been on a "saab" road trip before.. to missouri , and they didnt even buy the car lol...
but for everyon that is curious as to if i got the car... YES! its got a super clean body.. small amount of rust on the doors that hasnt gone thru.. just surface.. a very small amount in the hatch.. also just surface.. floors are solid as a rock.. car was garaged washed and waxxed its entire life. was only a dd after 2000 and only driven a few seasons in snow.. maybe 5-6.. does need a major tune up, plugs wires. dist cap/ rotor possibly clean the maf, and replace all the hoses.. the brakke m/c i think is leaking internally..(the pedal is a little spongy) other than a few minor issues i think the car will be a solid dd.
i will update with some pics either later or tommorow.. im still in a hotel 400 miles away from home!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just made it home and god damn what a ride!!!!!!!!!!! time to get to werk!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.