Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Black friday was black friday for my gearbox.

The whole family was in the car when at full out in 4th coming off the on-ramp my gear box went.

End result somehow 1st/2nd gear hub assembly went and engaged 1st while in 4th. I hit the clutch as soon as the bang was heard and dropped it into neutral and as soon as I began to let my foot of the clutch the revs shot up so I shut the engine off and got on the shoulder.

Insult to injury, first tow truck that was sent out pulled my viggen bumper off the crash bar slightly.

Now the car is on the shop lift, dropped off my spare gearbox and slave cylinder this afternoon, and just ordered my new viggen clutch/pp, spec flywheel insert, and upgraded rear motor mount.

Black friday was black friday.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you get a funny look when you told the shop "I have a spare gearbox"?
Nope. Barry (shop owner) has been working on Saabs for a long time. He used to build v8's for a racing hobby as well. BPI is a great shop in the down town Norfolk area.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bummer! but it sounds like you were well prepared and are already over it.

Hope you're not taking too big of a hit on the labor for the swap.

How soon till we see the dyno slips for your new setup? ;)
Who are you getting the tune from?

How's everything else going?

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
ouch sorry to hear that.
just hope the tow wasn't too far from where the shop is

What is it with stupid tow truck drivers and bumpers? None of them seem to know how to do anything right.
^this is the reason i havent spent too much time in trying to find 9-3 bumpers
i wouldnt say that they dont know how to do it right, more like they tow so many cars in a day that they dont have time to worry about every car's clearances

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
ouch sorry to hear that.
just hope the tow wasn't too far from where the shop is

^this is the reason i havent spent too much time in trying to find 9-3 bumpers
i wouldnt say that they dont know how to do it right, more like they tow so many cars in a day that they dont have time to worry about every car's clearances
Its all about the tow guy. I usually get a flat bed. Or pay extra for a tow buy a local company I know.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Bummer..

Usually will break the case and bind/gall 1st gear Then it is like its stuck in 1st. That happened to us at Tulsa IFO race.

I know how you feel. Pulled drag car apart to steal a clutch disk from the twin, ripped the gearbox out of my Viggen, tore the new 4.45 gearbox apart to fit it in the spare case with Quiafe. Now working on getting a gearbox built. Parts are clean and taking break. Planning for joyride sunday. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
The whole family was in the car when at full out in 4th coming off the on-ramp my gear box went.
I'm sorry for your troubles, but at least you were going for it. Sounds like you have a cool family, my wife would not go for that. Good luck on the repairs.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry for your troubles, but at least you were going for it. Sounds like you have a cool family, my wife would not go for that. Good luck on the repairs.
Who says my wife is going along with it..............

Shame I can't convince her to let me buy gildedsplinters fusion blue 9-3 sport combi. The only reason its a no is because its a manual and she is refusing to learn. Shame to since he is only a few hours south of me.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bummer..

Usually will break the case and bind/gall 1st gear Then it is like its stuck in 1st. That happened to us at Tulsa IFO race.

I know how you feel. Pulled drag car apart to steal a clutch disk from the twin, ripped the gearbox out of my Viggen, tore the new 4.45 gearbox apart to fit it in the spare case with Quiafe. Now working on getting a gearbox built. Parts are clean and taking break. Planning for joyride sunday. ;)
Well it is your family that got my black friday business ;). I hope the parts get here before tuesday so that I can off load the toyota camry rental quickly.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Do you have AAA? They list Vggens as cars that require a flatbed tow. I ran into this when my CPS went at a freinds house, they sent a regular towtruck and I said, NO THANKS, I want a flatbed. I called AAA back and they said it should have been a flatbed.

-good luck with the upgrades

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$500 dollars later for a bleh toyota rental and 1500 for labor and some other parts I didn't provide and I have a sweet running ride again. My clutch pedal itself had given out and become a oval where the master cylinder hooks up to it which had been the cause for some of my previous clutch problems.

Now to finish getting that sport combi ;).

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Expensive repair id say but glad shes running again
$500 dollars later for a bleh toyota rental and 1500 for labor and some other parts I didn't provide and I have a sweet running ride again. My clutch pedal itself had given out and become a oval where the master cylinder hooks up to it which had been the cause for some of my previous clutch problems.

Now to finish getting that sport combi ;).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts