Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody want to discuss GM 1997-present LSX or ECOTEC motors give me a shout.

I have a mildly modded LQ4 in my 2500 HD but I plan to build a BIG Turbo ECOTEC 4cyl 1979 Malibu when funds allow.

-Marksy

·
Registered
791 Posts
I love the 6.2 ls motor in my dads camaro. Pulls and pulls all the way to 6500 rpm redline. Can't wait till the warranties out so we can throw some boost at it :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Every body Raved about the Ecotec but I've found nothing but FAIL. From porous castings that drink Coolant to the Loss of oil pressure to the cylinder head Grenading the Rockers, Or the Rockers some time just Grenading themselves one by one, Some times two or three. Balance shaft chain/tensioner failures of all kinds. I've seen people over Rev them and Blow the block out from both sides "Thid was really cool, you could see the crank and rods moving while it was running" Basicaly I hate that engine and wish it sever saw the saab assembly line. Just get the V8, You know you want it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have nothing against the V8's, I just want to do something different and not too too expensive, possibly grace a magazine cover perhaps ??

You are correct about some of the ECOTEC's. GM performance sells all kinds of goodies to address most of the issues with massively boosted applications.
The bottom ends on these motors are waay overkill. IDK which block is best to start with, but I'd like to find a 2.0 LNF.

Chevyman - Tell your dad to get a Diablosport Trinity or Predator and just uninstall the tune when it goes to the dealer. Also research th "Magnuson-Moss act"

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Like harvey said - the ecotec has/had it's problems. If you are looking to tear one down and build it better I would go with the ecotec personally. They aren't terrible motors - just a lot of bad parts bolted onto and in them. Most of the pourous blocks I believe were from the early production runs (first few years...)

I have a GM performance parts catalouge if you ever need a part number or some help locating parts. If I have a spare I might be willing to send it to you if you choose to go that route.

Either way it'll be fun.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Chevyman - Tell your dad to get a Diablosport Trinity or Predator and just uninstall the tune when it goes to the dealer. Also research th "Magnuson-Moss act"
That pretty much says that a warranty cannot be denied because of the presence of aftermarket parts, unless it is determined that that part could have contributed to the failure right?

If I understood it right, if we have a blower on and there are any engine/drivetrain problems theres a pretty good chance that they will deny it because of that.

He doesn't want to do anything to it right now anyway I think. Got a few other projects that are a bit more important. ( 68 camaro, 32 ford, 66 nova... you get the idea haha)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct Chevyman. I worked at a GM dealer for half a decade and we would warranty some bogus things just to keep a customer happy. Most of the people with modded vehicles were cool shits anyways (and liked to spend money).

Thanks BurnsSide: I have a few of those catalogs lying around as well. :cool:

BTW - Chevyman - your dad has a 68 and new Camaro - Jealous. Last car my dad has was a 95 900 2.5 CVT (that I begged him not to buy. LOL). the wheels alone made me want to set it on fire.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah the '10 is the first brand new car he has ever bought so he is pretty excited about that.

The 68 is in pieces haha. We bought it a few years ago as a father/son project, and its sorta been pushed to the back burner for now. Its been completely stripped to be restored. Needs full quarters, trunk floor, and some small patch panels here and there. Hopefully once I'm out of school and have a decent job I can start buying parts for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get an LSX because you know it's so easy to build lots of power for a lot cheaper on them without even having to resort to boost. 400 hp is easy on an LSX, but on a ECOTEC you'll be pushing that engine pretty hard to get that much power. I assume you want to have more power, otherwise why go through all the trouble of swapping in the first place. Also people (including me) like the sound of a V8 a lot better than a 4 cylinder. I like the idea of being different, but the ECOTEC just doesn't seem worth it. There aren't many old Malibus around anymore, so an LSX powered one isn't going to be common at all. I think I've only seen 1 Malibu that's you're generation around where I live, and my stock car is a 74-77, which just aren't around anymore. So you see, it's a hard to find car already, even if you stick with an old fashioned 350 it's going to be a sweet ride.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. . . you raise alot of good points. I'd like to think a Lq4 with some bolt-ons connected to a 4l80 would be plenty of fun and easy too. I can't wait.

I dont have time or money right now, so we'll see. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Get an LSX because you know it's so easy to build lots of power for a lot cheaper on them without even having to resort to boost. 400 hp is easy on an LSX, but on a ECOTEC you'll be pushing that engine pretty hard to get that much power. I assume you want to have more power, otherwise why go through all the trouble of swapping in the first place. Also people (including me) like the sound of a V8 a lot better than a 4 cylinder. I like the idea of being different, but the ECOTEC just doesn't seem worth it. There aren't many old Malibus around anymore, so an LSX powered one isn't going to be common at all. I think I've only seen 1 Malibu that's you're generation around where I live, and my stock car is a 74-77, which just aren't around anymore. So you see, it's a hard to find car already, even if you stick with an old fashioned 350 it's going to be a sweet ride.
Uh... 400 is easy because that's what it is stock:

My GTO, stock 400 HP, 400 lb-ft torque, LS2, 430 HP with a Diablosport Predator Tune.
my 9-7x Aero, 395 HP, 400 lb-ft torque, LS2 (longer runner intake manifold).

SERIOUS HP can be had with just a few mods. 600, 700, more....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Uh... 400 is easy because that's what it is stock:

My GTO, stock 400 HP, 400 lb-ft torque, LS2, 430 HP with a Diablosport Predator Tune.
my 9-7x Aero, 395 HP, 400 lb-ft torque, LS2 (longer runner intake manifold).

SERIOUS HP can be had with just a few mods. 600, 700, more....
Very true, the 2010 Camaro has something like 422 hp right off the showroom floor.
Your power also depends on what you want for an injection system, the LS motors can be fitted with a carburetor which would make this swap all the easier but you need a decent carb, intake, and distributor (not hard)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts