Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this being a saab forum i wonder how many will side with the opinion that we are killing the planet, vs the planet is always evolving and we are but a speck of dirt in its lifespan.

i hate al gore and the carbon footprint bullshit he spews. mostly for the smug attitude, but the profiteering and fear-mongering dont help either.

The Weather Isn't Getting Weirder - WSJ.com

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My life is depressing and complicated enough without considering whats happening to the planet on that level (i do try to be ecofriendly in my normal life without obsessing, i'm not saying F the planet or w/e). So i choose to not think about... works for me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like you, i dont think about it. partly because, well, i dont worry about shit thats out of my hands. but also because theres nothing to worry about.

just thought id pass on some info from the side of the coin that doesnt stand to profit.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
like you, i dont think about it. partly because, well, i dont worry about shit thats out of my hands. but also because theres nothing to worry about.
But if everyone has the attitude that they as an individual in a world of 7 billion people cannot possibly make a difference, then nothing will change. Regardless of the global warming debate, why not take reasonable measures to improve the environment and ecosystem just for the sake of producing a less wasteful and more sustainable population?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im all for recycling and emissions controls. smog sucks and our waters need protecting desperately. we are trashing the worlds water supply and shit like the bp spill are tragedies.

but global warming, the ozone layer etc? i dont buy it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The ozone issues are real, but grossly exaggerated by most people. CFCs, aerosols and other harmful emissions do cause thinning or holes over the polar ice caps. BUT the reality today is that most of those products (such as hairspray) have been made much more eco-friendly. Now the ozone depletion level is back where it was in the early 80's and the 70's as apposed to the levels of ozone depletion of the 90's and early 2000's, where there was significant thinning and holes over the polar ice caps.

So yes I think the environment is important, but not something to obsess over. There are many things that you can do to help, like recycling for example, how hard it is to throw your beer cans away in a separate bin? If your really smart you take them to the recycling center and make some more beer money from the beer you would drink anyway. Turn off your lights and heater when your not home. These things are not hard to do. Am I going to stop driving gas powered cars and get a hybrid? Fuck no! Besides the damn battery in the Prius causes more environmental damage than the car saves during its lifetime. Am I going to stop using hairspray and become a tree hugging hippy that doesnt shave? Fuck no! I like looking good way to much. Overall I do what I can, without giving up the things I love.

So theres my 2-cents. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
We (Wife and I) are trying to find a happy place between tree-hugin-hippy and someone that doesn't care. We recycle and all that jazz. I keep the thermostat at 60 because heating oil cost too damn much and drive as little as possible for the same reason.

We are making a larger effort to be food conscious. Most of our food comes from local sources, dairy, grains, apple, ect. Yes, I am a local whole food movement guy. Buy local, support local, eat healthy.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
im all for recycling and emissions controls. smog sucks and our waters need protecting desperately. we are trashing the worlds water supply and shit like the bp spill are tragedies.

but global warming, the ozone layer etc? i dont buy it.
My opinion exactly. I think that emissions control is more important in urban areas and shouldn't really be too much of a concern for people in more rural areas. And the only reason I think we MAY want to move away from fossil fuel use is to reduce dependency on foreign countries...but I don't really know enough about that situation to be able to talk much about it.

I very much hate the attitude of some "green" people. I currently am taking a class about environmental science in building construction, and the professor pretty much talks about his Prius every time he lectures. And he always talks about how many good things he does for the environment, and is making us read Plan B (by Lester Brown...maybe some of you have heard of it) that is basically a huge global warming spiel. If you disagree with the professor, he makes a feeble attempt to ridicule you, but he is such an awkward man that it hardly ever works :p

I do believe we should help protect the environment, but when the costs far surpass the benefits, I think there is an issue.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I very much hate the attitude of some "green" people. I currently am taking a class about environmental science in building construction, and the professor pretty much talks about his Prius every time he lectures. And he always talks about how many good things he does for the environment, and is making us read Plan B (by Lester Brown...maybe some of you have heard of it) that is basically a huge global warming spiel. If you disagree with the professor, he makes a feeble attempt to ridicule you, but he is such an awkward man that it hardly ever works :p

I do believe we should help protect the environment, but when the costs far surpass the benefits, I think there is an issue.
read Michael crichton's novel "state of fear".

long novel that visits with eco-terrorists, cannibals, and other colorful characters. also exposes the "science" and "politics" marriage behind such winners as global warming, and eugenics before it (roosevelt and hitler, sitting in a tree). really woke up my interest on the subject.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
this being a saab forum i wonder how many will side with the opinion that we are killing the planet, vs the planet is always evolving and we are but a speck of dirt in its lifespan.

i hate al gore and the carbon footprint bullshit he spews. mostly for the smug attitude, but the profiteering and fear-mongering dont help either.

The Weather Isn't Getting Weirder - WSJ.com
This is an opinion piece written by an editorial writer.

Might be best to stick to science.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
the truth of the matter is that we are NOT killing the world. The world will be here millions of years from now. We're killing us.

And everything else ON the planet. But the planet itself? Meh. It's just fine....

1 - 20 of 160 Posts