Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a glass moonroof on a c900 in a parking lot. The car was a 87-93 and it looked great. It definitely wasn't a "I cut a whole in the roof and put a custom moonroof" type of job...looked like it was stock or something.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience or knowledge regarding the modification? Anybody ever try it or know if it works?

thanks

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
....and you didnt take a picture?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Technically that's a sunroof.

I've heard that they were an option, but I've never seen one up close, only pictures.

·
Registered
859 Posts
the real question is why... i use my moon roof ohh well actually never its pointless unless i go egging

·
Registered
4,252 Posts

I've heard that they were an option, but I've never seen one up close, only pictures.
Yep there used to be a pic of one on saabpics before it tanked.

My 1987 accessories brochure shows a photo of it. The Saab part number was 02 70 462 and it was available with it's own wind deflector part number 02 60 562. This is not the same wind deflector as the larger plastic one that was for the standard solid moonroof.
Saab did offer a glass moonroof. It is listed on page 56 of the Saab Accessories Reference Catalog. The part number is 02 70 462 and it is discontinued. It is a "pop-up" unit and the part numbers for the glass is 02 60 455 and the handle is 02 60 463. It indicates that the glass moonroof fits 99, 900 up to '93.

·
Registered
516 Posts
the real question is why... i use my moon roof ohh well actually never its pointless unless i go egging
Really?! C900 sunroofs are awesome, Looking straight ahead I can see out of it in my peripheral vision. Just makes things feel really airy. My favorite time to have it open is driving through VT during the winter on a clear night.(With the heat blasting of course)

·
Registered
890 Posts
If it's over 50 degrees, not raining and the wife if not in the car my sunroof is wide open. I love sunroofs.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" which was made up by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs. So all moonroofs are sunroofs, yet not all sunroofs are moonroofs.. "sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back the nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).

True sunroofs, those made just of metal and these days most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" ...panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible. Viggen convertible that is.:D

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" which was made up by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs. So all moonroofs are sunroofs, yet not all sunroofs are moonroofs.. "sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back the nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).

True sunroofs, those made just of metal and these days most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" ...panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible. Viggen convertible that is.:D
I've always understood it to be just the opposite. Sunroof=glass, moonroof=solid. The plot thickens...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well if anyone figures this out please let me know! Even if it is just like a tinted piece of plexiglass!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
A stock glass "moon roof" in a classic is bull. I have seen an aftermarket one obviously that looks factory before in 91 900 turbo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts