Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8) This is why you let the car idle for a bit after hard > very hard running.

Ok, so the dyno operator wanted to run it out in fifth to get some "color" in the exhaust... I liked the idea and wanted to see if we could saturate the charge temp. It only will just show spots of dull red in fourth gear runs. So the run starts at 1500 in fifth, We decided that by 4500rpm it was good enough :eek: I did not want to melt stuff down. The color is way off, it was actually white in the lightest colors and not so pink. The camera does not do it justice. :cheesy: Your comments are appreciated.

My Viggen page

Nick Taliaferro

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Oh wow!! I have seen my manifold glowing red before after a highway run as well. Its really interesting to see.

Do you know if a coated manifold, or even a tubular manifold would still get to such high temps to be white-hot?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
a tubular manifold would still get to such high temps to be white-hot?
It'll still get to nearly the same temps but might not glow. Cast iron glows at a very low temp compared to the types of steel you'd probably make a tubular manifold out of.

I saw a photo of an S4's engine bay (with the twin turbo V6) on a dark night after a hard run. It was pretty damn cool - the turbos are tucked way down under everything so you can't directly see the glowing parts, but the sides of the engine bay are eerily lit with this pale orange glow. :D

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
nick i cant see that pic (no biggy) but i cant get the vids either :( !! and turbochick...welcome....and what pic are you talking about..that link takes me to abbotts homepage...direct me please.. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts