Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my sub $500 convertible painted today - up late, in the driveway, outdoors, in the cold, with flash lights removing trim... still have door handles, spoiler on the door top, locks, silver trim on bumpers front and rear and... oh yea, lights!

Amazing, all this removed still haven't found any rust in the body, not even wheel arches! Really excited to have a car all one color!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I hope to have one of my c900's painted this spring/summer! How much for the job? Base/clear spray, right?

Your's, without rust or any significant body damage, looks like it will come out great. Can't wait to see finished pics!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going cheap, uh I'm going maaco... they have their best paint job on sale like 2-300 off (usually like a grand) - I just have to remove everything - they'll sand, prime it, etc... cars in the lot look great, locally owned, nice booth - fingers crossed... had one quote $4k (although he also wanted to replace every piece of trim on it ie. sell it to me with markup) - fat old basta.... anyway, next estimate was around $1500 - really nice shop - wish I could go there, but... really want/need new seats or covers for the front, and probably back to match... chasing a tonneau cover (hard) right now... only one on it at the moment.... hope it stays that way!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Maaco shot my mom's Honda a few years ago, cost less than just the supplies from my usual painter. Honestly, it looked pretty good all done and still looks good to this day.

P.S. crazy good buy on the vert

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I second both of seriks comments. Maaco usually has nicer booths and equipment than smaller shops. As with all paint shops though, they can be hit or miss. I've seen very good jobs from Maaco FWIW. I've also seen some LOL-type jobs as well...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seeing finished jobs and some local good dealer plates in the lot (and the owner having owned a number of Saabs including a 900 turbo vert) I am hoping for the best!

·
Registered
645 Posts
car looks real sharp!! never thought i would say this, +1 for maaco lol

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Looks great! Are you going to leave the badging off?

I did on both of mine after painting and have never looked back!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost got it all back together - got just too cold, I have no garage.. and then it snowed... broke OR the paint guys broke OR they just gave up the bit inside the door that the door handles grab to open the door... so door handles are on just to fill holes so they didn't fill with rain and snow...

Still have to align the hood and get it closing all the way, trim, bumper trim, and maybe badges.. or fewer badges maybe..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts