Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having a pretty crazy day at work yesterday. People breaking equipment, vehicles not starting and juggling multiple calls. The lead on our show had to go get a replacement piece of equipment so I was put in charge, which is no big deal I can handle that. So we are busting ass getting our show set up and then shit went wrong. I was up on a lighting case addressing lights and jumped down off it like I have done hundreds of times but this time I landed bad. I went down on my left foot onto uneven staging decks and messed up my whole foot. The whole bottom of my foot is bruised and so is my ankle. I am stressed out because I have a ton of work to do in the office this week.

My question is who has got hurt at work and how did they hand it. I am eligible for workmans comp. I have never had to file a claim nor do I think my business has. I don't want to be stuck on the couch I enjoy working too much.

To make the situation worse I drive stick and its my left foot.

For those who don't know I work for a high end event production company. Think MTV sweet 16.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
First off your going to have a hard time getting any work mans comp if you didn't file whatever your company uses to record work related incidents with injuries. It will be easier if somebody at work witnessed this happen and can vouch for it being on site during working hours. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
First off your going to have a hard time getting any work mans comp if you didn't file whatever your company uses to record work related incidents with injuries. It will be easier if somebody at work witnessed this happen and can vouch for it being on site during working hours. Good luck.
xEleventybillion

My aunt is pretty high up the food chain for Workmans Comp here in CA and she said thats the number one thing that causes them to reject an application.

But yeah, be wary if you do get the comp it is possible to get in trouble if someone witnesses you, say, out playing basketball when you're supposed to have a fucked up ankle. Fraud against your a state agency will get the whole book thrown at ya.

My friends dad actually served jail time for this. He was assaulted while driving a public bus, and broke his leg. When the leg healed, he still had comp time available so he extended it. Then he got caught playing Tennis, like a fucking idiot.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
dj shoes would have prevented this disaster.

workmans comp is for people who get hurt through no fault of their own. "i jumped off of stuff" probably won't work.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
see, I'm making fun of you for being a douche and not following through on your commitments. you're not supposed to play into it.

But to answer the question, just take like two days off your feet and leave comp for people who legitimately need it. You'll be fine in a few days but the guy who got crushed by a forklift, not so much.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Guru-Rofflecups

Drewz-You should figure out a way to scam your employer...Whether that be through stealing, fraud, or planting drugs on your boss, find a way to fuck them over.

Ohh, I know. Call the IRS on them and claim that they're not paying taxes or reporting all of their income. That will be almost guaranteed that they get audited. Also, call OSHA and get the ACLU involved as well.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Guru-Rofflecups

Drewz-You should figure out a way to scam your employer...Whether that be through stealing, fraud, or planting drugs on your boss, find a way to fuck them over.

Ohh, I know. Call the IRS on them and claim that they're not paying taxes or reporting all of their income. That will be almost guaranteed that they get audited. Also, call OSHA and get the ACLU involved as well.
+1. Call the EPA and say that your employer has disclosed that they save money by not paying for trash disposal. Instead, they admitted that they burn large amounts of plastic bags, rubber goods, and styrofoam

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yeah, you should have filled a report right away or at least notified someone higher up (supervisor, not someone else standing on a light box)

At least that is what I have been told in my years on/behind stage.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, you should have filled a report right away or at least notified someone higher up (supervisor, not someone else standing on a light box)

At least that is what I have been told in my years on/behind stage.
The vice president knows and so does the HR guy.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Tough it out Hombre....keep off your feet for a day, lay low and ice your ankle / foot often. I've rolled ankles in the past badly, and my ENTIRE foot, from about mid-calf down, swelled up and turned blue. The thing was frigged up BADLY, and I was only off it for a day or so before I could hobble along well enough to not need crutches or anything.

Right NOW, if you can walk, or do anything that vaguely resembles walking....then you're fine. Document it with your empolyer in case something comes up in the future, like you got a bone spur from it that takes a while to show up, but unless you're absolutely crippled, or seriously feel that a claim is your best bet (and in the best interest of being employed long-term!!), pony up and deal with it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I did a similar thing at work. Had to remove signage from a front window and used warehouse shelving to climb up to it. When I came back down, I hopped off a rail to the carpeted floor of the warehouse shelf. The carpet was laid over boards that extended across the bottom shelf. The only thing was, I hit an area of the carpet that had no board under it- a sort of trap door effect. Twisted my foot pretty bad in the process. No witnesses, except people that noticed I walked into the warehouse fine and walked out f__ked up. I filled out an accident report, took a picture of the shelf and carpet for the hell of it, then iced the shit out of my foot. Hobbled around for like 3 days and that was the end of it.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
lol @ tags. whose masterpiece is that?

i don't hate. i just ... have difficulty tolerating.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It still hurts I hopped around work all day because we are really busy. Didn't feel like spending my hard earned cash on a doctor only to tell me to put ice and keep it elevated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts