Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum, hi everyone:) I am getting a car for my graduation in april or may, and I wanna do a lot of research before I buy them, so I figure what better than to ask the experts, you guys.

I am currently looking at the 9-3 Aero Sedan and 9-5 Aero Sedan models. I plan on doing some mods, so its important to me that I get the most modd-able. I don't know too too much about the possible mods, but I do know I wanna get my hp/torque maxed. I'm much more into performance than looks. Where should I look, website wise, to find available mods/upgrades?

Was looking at Partforsaabs.com and saw this:

9-3SS Aero 02' on (210Bhp/313Nm) Stage 3 PPC (+58Bhp/+107Nm)

here are the stats on it:

BSR Stage 3 PPC Upgrade

To fit: Saab 9-3 Sports Saloon/Sedan and Convertible Aero Trionic 8 (210bhp/313Nm) 2002 onwards

Horsepower increase: From 210Bhp to 268Bhp - Gain 58Bhp
Torque Increase: From 313Nm to 420Nm - Gain 107Nm

The Stage Three kit comprises of a PPC System to enable easy reprogramming of your current ECU, a JR Performance Air Filter and a Catalytic Convertor back Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust System and 3" downpipe with sports CAT.

Anyone have that or know if they live up to the performance it promises?

What other ways besides that are there to boost hp/torque?

Thanks for your help guys/girls![/img]

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey, and welcome to the forum...

if you want to go for serious modding or just a faster car.. dont get a 9-3 SS(sports sedan) go for an old 9-3 viggen (99-02) they are stock 230hp and 258ft lbs of torque and are pretty easily moddable

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
9-5 aero can be brought up to 300 HP really nice, with Taliaferro's nordic stage 3 (IIRC) package.

plus the car is PIMP and looks sick in black or silver. fully loaded with all the luxury stuff and a viggen turbo, and big 2.3 T engine like a Viggen. PIMP mobile.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree that the 9-5 is PIMP. But the color red is the way to go :D. Plus they can be brought up to some serious hp/torque with a moderate amount of dollars. Plus, my personal favorite, is the sound of a hi flow cat back on it with that turbo swoosh. Get a stick because I have an auto and even though it is nice I would love to be able to spool my turbo more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
hey welcome to tsl!, always glad to see another power nut! :lol:

yea, definitely go for an old school 9-3 or ng900, those things have the most performance parts out of any car available to date, that or a c900 (30$ worth of mods and up to 200whp) ain't that right paul? :wink:

i have a '99 9-3 base model and i love it....i don't like the new 9-3's or 9-5's

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
saabvos said:
... that or a c900 (30$ worth of mods and up to 200whp) ain't that right paul? :wink:
8) yup thats right. and if you drive it just right you can leave a pile of tranny parts behind ya :lol: :roll:

my vote is for the 9-5 aero... stock theyre crazy fast, the motor is the proven reliable saab 2.3T, and the things are one of the most comfortable cars to be in ive ever experienced. If you go for a 9-3ss you have a really nice car dont get me wrong, but at this stage there just isnt nearly as much aftermarket for it... and besides it has a cavalier motor :shock: .

Paul

·
Registered
352 Posts
o, and that brings up another point, the 9-5 motor is a cast iron block with an aluminum head whereas the 9-3 motor is aluminum block with aluminum head, so if you do go for massive power, you won't need to redo the whole motor, cast iron is stronger 8)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
look in the Links page and look for saab performance and/or saab stores...plenty of links to get you started....

ps: the word link is an actual link...crazy i know! :shock:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
PaulH said:
and besides it has a cavalier motor :shock: .

Paul
actually - it's a Saturn motor.... the Cavalier's used a Saturn motor it turns out - and then Saab used that - so it's a Saab with a Saturn motor on a Malabu platform... :shock:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
actually - it's a Saturn motor.... the Cavalier's used a Saturn motor it turns out - and then Saab used that - so it's a Saab with a Saturn motor on a Malabu platform... :shock:
RAAAHHHHH !! its the FRANKENSAAB!!!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
PaulH said:

Paul
and now ive gone cross-eyed. :lol: :lol:

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
PaulH said:

Paul
the ecotec is a motor made by general motors with intent to use it on a variety of cars. the car model that it was installed into initially is irrelevant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From everything I could find to research about the 2.0L ecotec, Saab's implementation is primarily the block as a starting point. Everything else in and about the engine, rods, pistons, engine management, etc. is Saab-designed or manufactured or tested.

An interesting article on it:

http://motoring.iafrica.com/carsinaction/best_engines/240448.htm

I wish my Aero had the 2.3L Viggen engine as a starting point, but so far I'm very happy with the 93SS Aero engine, tweaked of course by my BSR PPC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
do you have a BSR PPC?
Yes. I got it about 2 months ago. I got my 93ss Aero in December of '03 and waited almost a year (around 13k miles). I wanted to ensure the new ecotec-based engine was sound, had well-broken in, was fine for normal daily driving and did well when I stomped on it. Once I was sure of this I pulled the trigger on the BSR PPC unit. (also changed the saab 0w30 turbo oil at 3k miles, 6k miles, 10k miles, they did the freebie at 14k miles)
Timing wasn't too bad as the dollar's value was falling.
I sent them my VIN and couldn't believe how easy the unit is to use. I've uploaded the tuned program three times, returned to stock settings twice for dealer visits. After swapping ECUs in and out of an Audi S4, PPC is SO nice. I'm very happy with the changes, much better throttle response, better low RPM torque (a lot of my driving is around town), but when you stand on it in 3rd and 4th it's wonderful (all gears are improved, especially the speed with which it accelerates in any gear, but 3rd and 4th are MONEY). It feels as it should have felt from the factory. I see that in Europe you can get Hirsch-tuned from the dealer (Switzerland only I think).
I still prefer the SOUND of the 2.3L I had in my 2001 9-5 Aero, and would have liked that engine in this car, but so far I'm very happy with the feel of the ecotec Aero version, tuned of course ;-)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I was just kidding, because you mentioned the ppc in all of your posts so far.
:wink: :lol:

but really, how long does it take to load programs?

I can swap the ECU is 5 minutes or less, so I guess it is a matter of perception how "easy" the PPC is... :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
I was just kidding, because you mentioned the ppc in all of your posts so far.
:wink: :lol:

but really, how long does it take to load programs?

I can swap the ECU is 5 minutes or less, so I guess it is a matter of perception how "easy" the PPC is... :wink:
I thought you might be kidding, but wasn't sure. You probably beat me on time, I think I timed it once and was around 6 minutes or so, but it's kindof hard to beat 'plug n' play'. I have two friends with 1.8Ts in VWs and they're trying to find out how/where to get the BSR VW version. The dealer in the UK from whom I got the PPC can only sell the Saab version to US customers. (not sure if I can post dealer links in here, I got banned from saabnet.com for posting INFORMATION that just happened to have URLs in it)

I don't believe in hi-flow cone type filters, meaning I know they flow more air, but I am just fine with paper air filters, I trust their filtering ability better. I am however considering a Ferrita exhaust or some other stainless type for mainly sound improvement. As for down-pipe and hi-flow cat I don't know if I want to spend the bucks. I'm also considering either the Euro Saab 18" 5-spoke wheels or BBS CH 18"s if I ever decide to move from the 17" Aero wheels to 18"s.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
db93a said:
I thought you might be kidding, but wasn't sure. You probably beat me on time, I think I timed it once and was around 6 minutes or so,
wow, i thought it took much longer, like 1/2 hour! that is QUICK.

db93a said:
(not sure if I can post dealer links in here, I got banned from saabnet.com for posting INFORMATION that just happened to have URLs in it)
no way. banned from saabnet? never! :lol: I doubt you will have that problem here. 8)

db93a said:
[
I'm also considering either the Euro Saab 18" 5-spoke wheels or BBS CH 18"s if I ever decide to move from the 17" Aero wheels to 18"s.
both really nice, but those BBS CH are REALLY HOT. expensive, though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
db93a said:
I thought you might be kidding, but wasn't sure. You probably beat me on time, I think I timed it once and was around 6 minutes or so,
wow, i thought it took much longer, like 1/2 hour! that is QUICK.

db93a said:
(not sure if I can post dealer links in here, I got banned from saabnet.com for posting INFORMATION that just happened to have URLs in it)
no way. banned from saabnet? never! :lol: I doubt you will have that problem here. 8)

db93a said:
[
I'm also considering either the Euro Saab 18" 5-spoke wheels or BBS CH 18"s if I ever decide to move from the 17" Aero wheels to 18"s.
both really nice, but those BBS CH are REALLY HOT. expensive, though!
Tell you what, next time I do it I'll time it again and post it.
I wonder if there are folks at saabnet that don't even know about this or saabcentral...
I had a friend who put CHs on his M3 and hit a bad pothole, cracked one badly, he wasn't happy about having spent the bucks and having to buy another, but anytime someone gets bigger wheels with lower profile tires they're taking that chance. We'll see. I'll probably think about it for months before I decide. The thing that really made it worse for me is the thread with pics of the CH on 93ss from Nick:
http://www.saablink.net/TSL/saabforum/viewtopic.php?t=939

ugh.... man I want 'em

1 - 20 of 31 Posts