Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share some photos of the new front mount intercooler i'm working on. I still have to weld on snouts and brackets for mounting. The core is from a ng900, I got for free because it was on a car in a accident. The core is not square so fitting endcaps wasen't easy.
I will take some more photos when I put back in car and hook up. I just wish there was more room to make smoother in and out caps, but it should work okay.

Go Swift, Go Safe, Go Saab

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Any reason why you chose to use the core from a NG900? Why not use a new or larger one?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
seriously... thats a lota work for somthing thats like stock.... lol at least get a viggen

·
Registered
584 Posts
Boxerchip said:
seriously... thats a lota work for somthing thats like stock.... lol at least get a viggen
He only kept the core. The difference between the NG900 IC he used and the Viggen one you're suggesting is all in the end tanks, and since he ditched those, there's effectively no difference. Also notice that he got the core for free.

And keep in mind how crappy the IC is on C900's. Even the counterflow NG900 IC would have been a good upgrade, and with the (crossflow) tanks he built, it should be great.

Looks like good work! :idea:

·
Registered
546 Posts
There could be a serious problem with that intercooler. Did you leave the top large passage open? The stock NG900 intercooler, as you know, is an out and back type. The air flows through the top then back through the fins on the bottom. If you left the large fin open as a cross flow intercooler you will have virtually no cooling effect because most of the air will flow through the top. If you blocked off the top fin you will be fine. If you left it open you need to fix it.
Eric

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alot of work yes. But it only took me a couple hours to fab and weld on endcaps. I got nothing better to do :D Plus I just enjoy useing the new welder :D After I'm done with this intercooler, I have a 9000 core to put together. I only wish I had money to buy a nice core from Sperco, and a pair of thier cast encaps. Still theres not sufficent room to place a effiecient intercooler in a c900. The radiator has to be moved aft for something serious. A intercooler that blocks cooling air to the rad is not good, so I'd rather not go that route.
The top core tube really pisses me off, what the? The internall area occupied by upper tube is roughly 20 to 25 percent of charge face of intercooler,so is doing anything? I left it open and I'll see what happens Most of the charge air will find its way through lower core rows , I hope. :roll: I dought it will cause insane charge air heating, but if I hafe to I will just make a cut in upper core row with hacksaw and slide in a piece of sheet ,then weld it up.The top core row is the farsest from snount inlet, thats why I add slight curve on encap for smooth transistion.I also entertained the idea of slidding a couple core rows from a junk core inside top upper row, but my core wasent square so it would have been impossible.
If it sucks O well I can always take two stock c900 cores and make one big core. :twisted:

Cost to build : Core$00.00
Encaps$5.00
welding rod$5.00
Equipment$dont ask Its why I"m broke
Doing it yourself $ PRICELESS$

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I do have to say you took alot of time and effort into it. Doesn't look bad...even if it doesn't come out functioning like you want ;) Good Job

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but unless you have endtanks fabed on to 9000core, a stock unit will not fit. :(
I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, but I have heard alot of people say they seen C900's with 9000 intercoolers, but I tryed fitting a 9000intercooler with those horrible plastic endtanks on my C900 NO GO. It wont even come close to just fitting without hacking up most of the Rad support. I've gone through Three Rad supports trying to fit different intercoolers.
The biggest problem with 9000 intercooler is location of snouts. If you Hack up the Rad support and slide intercooler in the snouts are dirrectly in front of Main Frame rail running across front of car.( THE ONE That SUPPORTS ENGINE AND BASICALLY TIES FRONT END TOGETHER). You would need to cut out and rebuild frame rail.I would cut a half circle in frame rail, then weld in a piece of thick walled tubing slightly larger then intercooler tubes.
Of course this is not for the weak at heart, You get what you pay for when it comes to intercoolers. An OEM intercooler will always be a dissapointment :cry:
I'm waiting to do a serious intercooler setup after moving rad to rear of car, and redesign of complete turbo system.

Go Swift, Go Safe, Go Sabb

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't say it wasn't impossible ,just not very smart. I think alot of people have notion that 9000 intercoolers will just fit. There also [email protected]#ty! Charge air hits a wall going into intercooler, then has to find its way through basically a overgrown radiator.
I'm not saying anything bad about that dudes site you posted Jezza, But the day I use PVC tubing and some of that other crap for intercooler tubes is the day I Give up working on cars. IF you dont have some form of metal tubes with hose retention beads rolled your asking for trouble. He had no good picture of the actual intercooler in place, his radiator hose was in direct contact with turbo outlet pipe, and did I forget to say PVC TUBING WHAT THE HELL WAS HE SMOKING, Cause let me have some. The towhooks are least of what needs to be cut, I prefer to use the PLASMA CUTTER( OR GAS AXE, AS YOU BRITS SAY).Measure distance between radiator support were intercooler would sit , and then measure intercooler at it maxium width. You can see from a picture how it gets wider as it goes towards bottom, so you have to keep cuting up on the radiator support to fit in.
I made a tow bar that bolts up to car, and can be towed by anything with a hitch.
Obvisouly you havent seen my Saab. It aint pretty ,but it gets the job done. I made one piece front mount intercooler tubes, and a tubular steel upper radiator pipe. No clearence issues and I sure as hell didn't reuse stock intercooler tubes. MY intake tube is one piece, steel tubing, and has two extra 1" conections for bypass valves. And I was drinking pretty heavilly the day I fabed that stuff up. I'm not even happy with what I made cause I know I can do way better. So i'm trashing it all and doing it again, and again, and again, etc.
Sorry to rant and rave, I think I drank to many beers. Its been a bad month.
If I don't get a Job soon( damn why did I pass up chance to work at Rolling Chassis Racing,I could be working on someones Nascar racer right now)I will be in poor house.

·
Registered
29 Posts
:D I have no idea why he's done it like that. There are a couple of guys in Sweden with 9000 IC's with better pics than that on www.900aero.com in the Tech section. I'm looking at putting in a FMIC but will probably go for the Volvo one as it seems to fit better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts