Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, HI!!

Okay, my 2001 9-5 Aero has made a high pitched noise since I bought it when the A/C is off. The previous owner says that he went through some deep water once and that the A/C clutch/bearing is dry. That makes sense. Anyways, is there a way to grease the bearings without removing the whole thing?

Another A/C question: This noise was usually not a big deal because I would just not leave it on ECON mode and it would be quiet. Now that it is cold, I noticed that the compressor does not kick on when the temp goes below 32 degrees. Is this a programmed feature? Like it wont kick on below 32 degrees for safety?

Also, what is more prone to make noise at 100k+ the water pump or the power steering? I just replaced my upper idler and ran a short belt and there is still a loud accessory noise coming from the front accessories (besides the A/C being off noise).

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wouldn't have gone for the short belt switch since it apparently makes more engine vibration, but you did it already so whatever. I think that the water pump is usually the first to go, the power steering should be fine. Btw I put a gatorback belt on when I changed mine and the thing doesn't slip at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have gone for the short belt switch since it apparently makes more engine vibration, but you did it already so whatever. I think that the water pump is usually the first to go, the power steering should be fine. Btw I put a gatorback belt on when I changed mine and the thing doesn't slip at all.
I don't think it is engine vibration that it increases, its just a bit of chatter from the extra room for slack. However, I have seen absolutely no difference. And Breau, the reason why I changed to a short belt is because my middle idler is bad and I am not about to change that fucker. Mine doesn't slip either, no problems reported.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Those a/c compressors do hate to get submerged. I do a lot of flood cars and almost all of them need a compressor. It is tough to pinpoint the noise from them. As for the short belt, I've really only noticed any belt "flutter" if you're doing tight manuvers steering

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
what you could do is do a short belt and a/c skip size belt I resantly put one on mine. I dont have the belt number that I used handy, but the belt size is 1816mm or 71.4 inches.
I'm currently in depth with a water pump work at 96k miles

EDIT: Dayco Belt
6pk1815

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.