Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Anyone else know what a transmission "neuter" gear is??? Apparently it still works, sounds like something i wouldn't want to have....

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Anyone else know what a transmission "neuter" gear is??? Apparently it still works, sounds like something i wouldn't want to have....
Probably talking about the freewheel. Looks like a decent car, but always hard to tell from craigslist pics, could be a good deal, could be too much money, hard to say.

Paul

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's the free wheeling hub on the end of the crankshaft. Mechanics call it a sprague drive, or something like that. It is a hub with springs and rollers inside of a cylinder. It grabs in one direction, free wheels in the other. My first Saab, a 1969 model 99, had this. There's a cable on the console that moves a sleeve between the hub and cylinder to engage and disengage the hub and cylinder. It disables the free wheeling feature when it's not wanted. Free wheeling is for coasting when torque is not needed. The neat thing is, after taking off in first, you can shift without the clutch. Just let up on the gas when shifting (not the original intent). I bought my first Saab with the sprague drive taken apart. Turns out it was the hydraulic clutch master that needed rebuilding. That was 35 years ago. Hooked on Saabs since. I heard that free wheeling designs like that were banned in this country. Too bad, it's a gas saver. But at the expense of no engine braking.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It's the free wheeling hub on the end of the crankshaft. Mechanics call it a sprague drive, or something like that. It is a hub with springs and rollers inside of a cylinder. It grabs in one direction, free wheels in the other. My first Saab, a 1969 model 99, had this. There's a cable on the console that moves a sleeve between the hub and cylinder to engage and disengage the hub and cylinder. It disables the free wheeling feature when it's not wanted. Free wheeling is for coasting when torque is not needed. The neat thing is, after taking off in first, you can shift without the clutch. Just let up on the gas when shifting (not the original intent). I bought my first Saab with the sprague drive taken apart. Turns out it was the hydraulic clutch master that needed rebuilding. That was 35 years ago. Hooked on Saabs since. I heard that free wheeling designs like that were banned in this country. Too bad, it's a gas saver. But at the expense of no engine braking.
Damn, sounds interesting.

Someone should check it out.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If I didn't already have one in the garage awaiting work - I'd be going to look at it to buy. Looks much nicer than mine did when i picked mine up (for not much less than his asking price) $2000 for a rather rust free runing and driving 95 sounds like a good deal to me - if it is actually that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts