Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search on this, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I lost a little oil when removing my passenger side axle + shaft. I plan on putting the new axle in and need to top off the gear oil.. what is the gear oil I need to get? In my manual it lists a manual transmission oil, and then it lists a gear oil... so which do I need? Can anyone throw me the eeuro link as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
There's a fill plug below the brake fluid reservoir that takes a 1" socket

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha cool, thanks. Is it just fill it up till its at the top or? I am assuming there is no difference between a 9-3 trans and an NG trans. Especially since your's is hydraulic too.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Aha cool, thanks. Is it just fill it up till its at the top or? I am assuming there is no difference between a 9-3 trans and an NG trans. Especially since your's is hydraulic too.
There's a check plug somewhere too... When I replaced my axle I tried saving as much fluid as I can and jus eyeballed the rest that I lost when it spilled

·
Registered
744 Posts
i would drain it all then put in syncromesh. if ur not sure whats in it,its not good to mix.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
i would drain it all then put in syncromesh. if ur not sure whats in it,its not good to mix.
Good advice, might as well replace the fluid depending on what's in there and when it's been replaced last

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There is a difference in the fill plugs. NG takes a 24mm socket, 9-3 is a hex (maybe 8mm or so?) in general. But I think something weird happens around '99...I don't remember.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
There is a check plug by the drivers side axle shaft as well.
Oil level should be even with the hole. I just fill to the correct amount(1.8 litres; 1.9 quarts) and top off slowly till it starts to leak out of the check hole.

Courtesy of GenuineSaab.com:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just changed mine 1 month ago
10w 30 mineral engine oil like speced in the manual
The syncros need the extra friction that the mineral oil provides
mine shifts like butter

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There is a check plug by the drivers side axle shaft as well.
Oil level should be even with the hole. I just fill to the correct amount(1.8 litres; 1.9 quarts) and top off slowly till it starts to leak out of the check hole.

Courtesy of GenuineSaab.com:
Exactly what I needed to know, how much it takes. If it is only 1.9 quarts then I will just drain and refill with all new fluid.

So what is the best for these tranny's, and what weight do most of you run?

Thanks guys.

EDIT - just read the GS link there, seems to answer all questions. It does state to use "87 48 733" which results in this: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=93165414

My transmission is from a 2001 9-3 I believe. So after searching on eeuro for a 2001 9-3, it said get this: (the MTF0063)

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=93165290

So I guess follow the GS procedure, but use the MTF instead?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some of the peeps are liking the Redline MTF (not shockproof or MTL). Even Nick stated that it felt better than MT0063 (linky). I'm using it right now and it works awesome. So long as it's GL-4 as our cars use brass synchros. I have a box full of Amsoil fluid I want to try.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I just picked up 2 qts of the recommended fluid for the Viggen and it was 93165414, Dexron VI. I got it from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
^^I know. That's what made me skittish about it. But that's what their computer said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts