Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my 97 900 se the SRS light, along with red triangle in the middle are on consistently for the last 30 or so starts. also the speedo it extremely erratic, it will sometimes be stuck at 0 or will be all over the place telling me im going 85 sometimes when I'm obviously not going any where near that fast. The speedo does seem to shape up if i hit the dash above the cluster sometimes. I have done some searching on the forum and have found similar problems but haven't really found if anyone might know the cause of this maybe someone has an idea of what the root of the problem might be? also looks like sometimes the horn can be related to these things but that works just fine

·
Registered
287 Posts
The SRS light in my Saab was also on and the horn worked fine, we just took it to a shop with a Tech2 and they cleared it for us and it hasnt been on since. It also sounds like a bad ground perhaps in the cluster or loose connection if it "fixes" when you smack it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what about the regulator and noise filter in the alternator? Though I like the floating ground idea.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Off topic but I think ScanRocket made their user name that long so it is easy to find their posts in a thread :p :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well i took the whole bottom knee bolster and the metal guard off to get
behind the cluster and just checked everything and from what i could see there didnt appear to be anything out of place i did move a few of the connectors that i could see to make sure that they werent lose. put everything back together and also disconnected the neg. battery terminal to try and reset the system. I had it disconnected for a good 35 min. with no good results. Nxt ill try to get the srs light cleared with a tech 2 somewhere but the speedo is still going to be going crazy. has anyone ever replaced those clusters or know of any potential problems with replacing it? im thinking that might be a possible solution if i can find one that i know for sure works.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Usually the processor board "In the Cluster" develops cold soldier joits. I've seen the chips actually fall of during the resoldering repair. You can have the processor board repaired but the SRS module will still need to be reset with a tech 2 to clear the light. PM me if you want the Email of the Guy who repairs NG900 clusters.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
so it sounds like the crazy speedo could be the reason for the srs light, im assuming that it would probably be a good idea to get the cluster fixed before getting the srs light cleared to avoid possibly having the light just going back on?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ian Potter, @ "[email protected]" repairs the cluters for me. You will need to remove the cluster and mail it to him, unless your in the MD, sothern PA, Northern VA area, If your close enough we can get together and fix you up. I have a tech 2 & shop Etc. Like i said in the post it would help if you had some one look for a code in the srs module for Open circuit to the cluster. This would confirm the need for a Cluter repair Vs other variables. But with your symptoms and the number of 94-99 clusters I have had repaired for this problem I'm expecting that to be the root cause of your problems.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thanks for the offer but i am way out in the wisconsin so that wouldn't work real well, but yeah i think ill try and have someone with a tech II look at it and try and get a code from it before just to make sure that what is going on. also if it is what i think it is the code should say something about an open circuit or something to that affect?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.