Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 3 weeks there has been a strong fuel smell only when stationary. This is noticed inside (when heater is on) and outside the car. I suspected 2 things which I replaced: the MAF (causing rich mixture) and my FLEX pipe which was identified as a problem. Yesterday I picked up my car from the SAAB dealer who had just completed the installation of the GS 3" downpipe upgrade replacing FLEX pipe and there it was - The attacking fuel smell again!!!! Planing to call friend tech at dealer and returning car for re inspection.

Note: Fumes are only noticed when car is stationary which is why I suspected the FLEX pipe.

Also, 4 months ago I replaced the Crank Ventilation system which had eliminated burnt oil fumes at the time.

Any ideas? This is kicking my AS*:mad:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Take the fuel lid off, Its under the back seat, And see if the Map sensor on top of the fuel tank by the pump has fuel trails comming from it, 99-2000s leak alot from there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, removed lid and checked everything in pump area looks good. I discovered the fuel smell originating from somewhere in the left side of the engine compartment. No visual evidence though. Also, how does the fumes make their way into the heating system?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If your car is an early 99, the Carbon canister is located in the Right front fender. The elbow that connects it rots off frequently on these cars due to there age. I have had fuel smells from this. The right front is the passenger side.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
its a 2000 AERO
I'll check that as well, thanks

Can it be the Carbon Canister and/or Purge Valve itself?

Guess I would have to check the EVAP system in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update: I noticed a some saturation and smell on the fuel rail what looks like a valve or adjustment screw. Is this for adjusting the fuel pressure and if so should it be tightened?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Update: I noticed a some saturation and smell on the fuel rail what looks like a valve or adjustment screw. Is this for adjusting the fuel pressure and if so should it be tightened?
You need a Shrader Valve tool to tighten it. Its like the Shrader valve in a tire stem. You can buy a shrader tool from the tire section at most auto parts stores. Just stick the drive end of the tool, most are like screw drivers, in the service post and snug it up a little. that port if for checking fuel pressure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the fuel smell still lingers. Off to the dealer I go. Need help. Grounded the car to avoid any danger. The insecurity of not knowing :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I"ve got the smell now in my '95 900s. it happens when I fill the tank to full. Like many say, as the level goes down the smell goes away. So, I supposed I need to check all the venting hoses from the tank to the engine area? Mine was sudden. One day, no smell the next after a full fillup, the smell is now there. Any other suggestions? Did someone say I could take the back seat out to access the fuel tank connections? I looked for leaks and haven't found anything yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had mentioned my fuel pressure check valve suspicion to the tech and he agreed then replaced it with a 9-3 valve for cost saving reasons. All is good for now. Happy to be back in my AERO after driving a loaner for a week!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts