·
Registered
2,536 Posts
im getting signed up for a rally school at our local track
i think it would be cool to have a big saab auto/rally cross event

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
How exactly do you get started with Rally Racing? I have no idea where to start, but have been looking to do this for a while.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
man i'd love to get into rallying, it looks like SO much fun, there are a few schools near me, and i have checked them all out with my dad, but they are on roads like a lane and a half wide through woods, with tons of trees all around, i sorta want to learn in a different setting first, one where i can't hit a tree if i screw up...

~jusitn

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
erm... I would think the WIDE track is best for learning... this helps you NOT die while learning what you're doing. I'm sure they have more realistic tracks once you're able to handle the dirt as it sits. I'd love to get into Rally, or Baja even - but i'd need to start practice handing cinder blocks from me neck to build up an endurance like 4 years ago for that... Rally racing DOES look like mad fun, but I doubt I'll ever end up in that seat. Good luck to all yous who do and may.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
How exactly do you get started with Rally Racing? I have no idea where to start, but have been looking to do this for a while.
Dump at least $10 or $15k into a good car, sign up with the SCCA, and pray nothing falls apart. :D

Seriously though, here's the SCCA's page on "rallying:"

http://www.scca.org/amateur/performance_rally/index.html

(Rallying as in driving fast on narrow dirt roads through the trees.)

They have two classes - ProRally, wich is the big stuff you see on speed tv; and ClubRally, which is still fantastically expensive but available to the average Joe off the street with a licence and a built car. ClubRally is divisional (i.e. no national championship.) Some local SCCA chapters hold individual RallyCross events locally - basically, an even more toned down version with no championships whatsoever.

Auto-x is the best choice for weekend racing IMHO. You can pretty much show up with a street car that has $0 invested in it and race. Solo I events are held all over the place all the time:

http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo1/index.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts