1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Dead link :evil:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ya thats gay, would have been true if they used a civic.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Lemme get this straight.

Someone put a rotary engine, Porsche tranny and rear end, and Lotus suspension in a DeLorean?

Goddamn! Where do I sign up?

·
Registered
584 Posts
snow4_1man said:
Ya thats gay, would have been true if they used a civic.
Yeah, because your average Saab can keep up with a 300 hp mid engine sportscar . . . I think it's pretty obvious that many of the scenes in that video are supposed to be jokes. :D

·
7,595 Posts
Porsche tranny and rear end, and Lotus suspension in a DeLorean?
They all have that ;)

Trouble is from the factory, all they had was a sorry 130 HP PRV-6 that had limited power at best. the DeLorean was always designed with a turbo engine in mind, I guess a rotary engine works well too ;)

As for the last scene, I doubt that the saab was trying to keep up. the DeLorean would have been pulling away, sure but at a much slower rate no doubt.

·
7,595 Posts
Did they? then that's not the original, oh well. The stock DeLorean trannys were either a 5 speed, or some kind of custom ZF 3 speed automatic made to fit the DeLorean. That unit (the auto) I know nothing about, except that they often fail, and leaking like all hell is common to them :lol:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i always thought deloreans were slow, cool looking cars... They are just so damn heavy with all of the stainless steel.

·
Registered
584 Posts
b dash rian said:
i always thought deloreans were slow, cool looking cars... They are just so damn heavy with all of the stainless steel.
They have a curb weight of about 2900 lbs, which is pretty reasonable.[/list]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my buddies dad has one and let me tell you, its SLOW.
He said it has a volvo motor in it, could tht be true?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
trexturk said:
my buddies dad has one and let me tell you, its SLOW.
He said it has a volvo motor in it, could tht be true?
PRV - Puegot Renault Volvo - it was a Joint Venture - and as DeLorean stated - it was a 130hp RWD Car which was designed with a Turbo in mind. The motor really isn't all that bad.

That car was on e-bay a few years ago - it went for about $20,0000 i believe. It was VERY nice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
it was a 130hp RWD Car
The PRV engine made 156 hp in DMC trim. It definitely was not a fast car though, taking 10.5 seconds to reach 60 mph.

John DeLorean designed it to be the "gentleman's sportscar." It wasn't supposed to be brutishly powerful, but did have a very solid overall design - mid engine, 4 corner independant suspension, good safety features, etc.

If only it had stuck around long enough to ditch the crappy PRV and get a proper power plant. Hell, I just wish it had stuck around long enough to be a bit more plentiful. They go for outrageous prices for what you're getting. If I had $10k sitting around and wanted an exotic, I'd look at a 4-cyl turbo Esprit or an old TVR or something like that before a DeLorean.

·
7,595 Posts
Everything about the PRV's in this country was de-tuned. The last car to come with one in the US that I know of was an AMC / Chrysler (with Renault body) known as the Eagle Premier. It had a nicely tuned 3.0 PRV 6 with LH Jetronic fuel injection. I hear they were quite nice to drive... 150 HP on that car, and to date I'm fairly sure it was the most powerful PRV ever sold in the US. The late 70's Volvos like the 265 that had the PRV as a option, I don't remember the exact power output, but I do remember that it was less than 120...

we are not talking sheer power here :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts