Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettiing a vibration under acceleration that won't seem to go away - it's been there for quite a while now - since then I have replaced the tranny, whells and tires and gotten a factory-spec alignment - but mostly for naught.

It kicks it at about 55-60 MPH and keeps going past that point - regardless of gear. The one constant is that it is worse when the car is under hard accelleration - once I back off the gas a bit the problem eases up.

So I'm thinking that some rubber piece is worn and not taking well to the stress - bushings? tranny mount? any ideas?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the exact same problem and turns out it was a bent rim. I switched it to the right rear and the car drives fine, I hardly notice. Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
there's another post relative to the same subject matter...and you've done some expensive work to resolve..wow.

Even though you mentioned changing the wheels...you didn't say whether they were new and balanced.

I would have immediately suspected a wheel out of balance.... or warped, and then tried swapping the fronts to the back to see if any difference. I had wheels that were warped and beyond balancing. If your running around on those stock 3 spoke vikings...they're easy to bend. In fact most of the SAAB wheels are soft. I bought some ten spoke wheels to solve a similar problem...

AFter that, I can only think of wheel bearings...tie rod ends, control arm bushings ...but I would think this would cause the shimmy all of the time...so I'm back to unbalanced or warped wheels. If you put the car up on stands and wiggle the wheel top to bottom, side to side.., you can see if there is excessive play for most of your wear issues.

I also know on the NG's...particularly from 95 -97 900's we had problems with the front strut tower bushing being too soft. You'd know if you are getting a knocking type noise on bumps in the road. Anyway.., after not replacing mine ., it led to more problems latter... just more food for thought.

I'm sorry to see your experiencing this.., but I hope this helps a little.

regards

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires and wheels are new and balanced - so I'm not too concerned about that, although I could do a front-back swap to see how it goes.

I don't hear and clunks when driving or hitting bumps in the road, but I do get lots of spring-creak with speed-bumps/humps etc.

I did have the old 3-spoke viking-shield wheels and they were bent and warped and one of them was cracked, which is what ultimately convinced me to replace them.

I had the alignment done at my local SAAB dealership and they didn't notice anything being out of whack with the tie-rod ends or other suspension/control pieces - usually they're pretty quick to tell me what needs to be replaced :wink:

The car is a '97 vert - so I should probably look into the strut-tower bushing - if those need to be replaced I can get new springs put on as well - in for a dime, in for a dollar! :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts