Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever put a 16" full size spare in place of the space saver spare? I know my space saver won't fit with the Viggen brakes up front and the Aero brakes in the rear. I'm just not even sure if the diameter of the tire/rim will fit in that space. If it won't, then I guess I'm on the look out for a Viggen/Aero spare.

I was contemplating using the space for a stealth sub and amp install, but would rather the peace of mind and functionality of a full size spare. Even if it involves raising the floor a bit. Something about fix-a-flat/slime doesn't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a full size spare in my 97 NG. I cannot remember if there is a 17 inch rim or a steelie with snows. I remember thinking it wouldn't fit, but it did. The floor bubbles up a bit IIRC. I will go take a look in a bit.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read something on SC last night saying a 205/55R16 fits while slightly bubbling the floor. Thanks for checking. Also, is the wheel face down or face up and is the foam tool kit still in place?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a 215/45R17 in there. Foam tool kit does not fit, floor is slightly bubbled.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
you don't need a spare - they just add weight and make your car go slower *

Yes - agreed, full size spare does "fit" but as mentioned it will not allow the false floor to sit flush/flat.

As for foam tool kit - get one from a Sport Sedan which can mount beneath the wheel in the center of the rim.

I would mount the tire face up - and I do not think you can bolt it down either when it's in there - can't remember.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I too need a 16" spare, not interested in running with a snow tire as a spare.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I use to carry A Viking As a spare but not anymore as I disliked how it looked and the carpet wasn't flat anymore. For now I'm runnin no spare(hopefully thAt doesn't bite me in the ass)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use to carry A Viking As a spare but not anymore as I disliked how it looked and the carpet wasn't flat anymore. For now I'm runnin no spare(hopefully thAt doesn't bite me in the ass)
Isn't your carpet now a reverse bubble since there is no wheel to support the floor?

I don't mind if it's raised up. I would just raise the floor some to mask it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Isn't your carpet now a reverse bubble since there is no wheel to support the floor?

I don't mind if it's raised up. I would just raise the floor some to mask it.
Wouldn't even be that difficult, would be curious to see how you approach it however. I have no spare in my coupe, there is now a sinking hole. I have no hatch struts however, so I don't care for the time being.

During the winter, I wouldn't go without a spare, which is my my NA has a full size. The bubble is worth it for the time being, IMO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Iv always kept a spare viggen wheel in my viggen, it fits fine, the carpet is raised a bit and the tool kit still fits. I just had to screw on that white plastic wheel retainer nut thing on upside down so it can grab the threads on that stud in the middle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
What about getting a really narrow 16" rim that wouldnt bubble the floor? It may not match everywhere else, but it would fit a real tire and could be driven semi-permanently rather than the temporary donut

1 - 13 of 13 Posts