Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, just wondering if there is anyway to increase fuel efficiency in these cars. I am getting an average of 22 MPG now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Couple of things to try

1. Reset your ECU (pull the ECU fuse for 5 minutes)
2. Obvious, but shift earlier and stay out of boost
3. Tire pressure at 33/34

I find I can get high 30's mpg (per the on-board computer) at 45 MPH in fifth gear. If I drive aggressively, I too average in the low to mid 20's.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Over at the GM forums they have frowned upon shell fuel as well as mom amd pop shops. I ran 28 mpg one week and 25 the next driving exactly the same. Mobil/Exxon or Sunoco seems to run the best.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
OEM spec is 35PSI - start there - I always ran 40 front and 38 rear. Fresh gear/trans fluid - new fuel filter and plugs. Clean air filter too. Drive like grandma - coast as much as you can - and avoid breaking. Roll through as many stop signs and "yellow" lights too - this will aid in the starts from a stop :) lol Do not use the a/c and if windows are open - ensure rears are too to improve through car airflow. Never drive with one window down @ high speeds = air trap! Buy lower rolling resistance tires (continental). Shift early - but not too soon. Install a vac gauge and watch you inches of mercury - stay out of boost as much as you can.

Are you driving an auto or manual? Highway - around town - mixed?

check out http://www.fueleconomy.gov and compare!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
duct tape all the open gaps on your car so that it's one, smooth, surface. (door/hood seams, grill/bumper openings, etc). remove your side mirrors and all internal weight. Get narrower tires. (4 spare tires are the best)

In all seriousness, you're Auto in city traffic won't get the greatest milage. It's all relative though; you get better milage than any SUV.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You can also tune the ecu with more timing and some other things to increase fuel economy, most of it is in the right foot and knowing when to coast and when to shift and using only enough throttle to get you to speed as necessary,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts