Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang
I am new to the Saab world, as a friend recently "donated" her 97 SAAB 900 se to help me out (previous car is dead as disco). The hitch is that this car doesn't run (yet) either, so here goes my first ever saab learning experience. So here's the rundown: She would start with starting fluid or sometimes without and run for at most 4 seconds. I disconnected the fuel line at the rail, and there doesn't seem to be any pressure there, just fuel trickling out. I got a good book on it, and have double checked fuses and relays, jumped the pump and am unable to hear/feel the fuel pump running at all. I also changed the fuel filter, just for kicks. So, I am pretty sure that it needs a fuel pump.

My question is this: do I need the insert or the whole assembly? Also, are there any tricks I should be aware here? It seems that I can cut the tin beneath the back seat and access it from there, which would be optimal.

Any wisdom that you can throw this noob is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
The entire pump assembly does not need to be replaced. There is some info here on replacing the insert. The thread mainly deals with how to install the upgraded Walbro 255 fuel pump, but you can use it as a guide to replace the standard one too. It will be much more straight forward without any need to modify any parts of the assembly to get a direct replacement insert in there.

the post with the photos:
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showpost.php?p=617906&postcount=52

from this thread, 53rd post:
http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32489&highlight=walbro+255

This doesn't cover how to remove the pump from the car, I have no photos of that, but it is pretty straight forward as well. On my 9-3 I removed the carpet from the rear and used tin snips to cut an access hole on my car, then riveted a new pieces of metal in there to cover the hole. The rivots can be easily drilled out if I need to access it again in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. What's annoying is, I searched for over an hour on here and could not find the right thread. I knew it had to be here somewhere! I'll be sure and let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey gang
well the parts are in and the day has come. I am hours away from tearing into the belly of the beast! Speaking of tearing, can anyone give me a good reason not to cut the tin away under the backseat and access the fuel pump that way? I've seen some threads that mention this and it SOUNDS optimal-but who can say til you get involved.
Good luck with whatever projects you're on today- maybe later we can all get a beer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah true enough! i pulled the seats out and cut the tin. Best thing I ever did! The rest of it was a snap, with the lone exception of getting the old line off the pump insert. I had to cut the line and then heat it up to make it pliable enough to get it on there. Many thanks to JK for the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.