Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over here and not really found anything similar to my problem. I have a 1992 n/a 900s. driving home from a friends house after it sat for a couple of days it kinda stalled on accel. It mostly went away until I got on the interstate and got to running speed. under normal drive in 5th everything is fine, if I go to accelerate more than a little bit that car doesn't stall, but is like I tossed it in neutral, just kinda idling. I fill the tank problem mostly goes away. I make it to a friends house that is closer to home and let it set for the night. Start it up to come home no problem until about 10 mi out and it starts that stalling sort of, it seems that if I rev slowly I can get thru it, but if I just give it enough to pass someone it does not want to do anything. I get on to the interstate ramp and try to accelerate for the incline of the ramp and it stalls, so I down shift to get a higher rev and nothing, it dies. It does not start and will not. I get it back to his house, by way of flatbed, and check for spark and have spark at all plugs, check fuel pressure with pressure gauge and this is where the question is. Turn the key to on and feel the relay click, but no pressure. Attempt to start instantly pressure builds to 40, but almost as soon as I let off it drops to about 10 maybe 15. I am currently limited to testing as to the fact that my car is 150 miles away, but I am trying to get info for myself for when I go back up there to hopefully drive her home. Not sure if any of this is useful, but I just had to replace the crank position sensor, and since I was doing that I did the ign amp, knock sensor, ign coil, cap, rotor button, and maybe a couple of other things. I don't think that any of that is relevant seeing how my original problem was no spark, due to faulty cps. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Please use paragraphs. It makes your thread easier to read.

Sometimes, with a dying fuel pump, you can tap the top of it with a hammer to get it a go a little awhile longer.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've got an extra fuel pump I carry around in my hatch for just this type if thing. They tend to intermittently work before finally dying altogether. Pretty easy to replace though. I wish all cars made it that accessible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I asume you have the pump outside of tank? Check the screen inside the tank (Not all car's has it) I had a Volvo that acted up like yours, and it was the screen, cloogged up with some mysterious sticky "mudd".

You might have a prepump inside the tank, I dont know if you have that, but all Volvos has it from 1975. (If the main pump is mounted outside the tank) If the prepump is not working, you get all kinds of problem. If your pump is inside the tank dont forget to change the screen. At autozone I always has to ask for it, it does not always come with the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.