Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently what we all thought was a coolant/heater core leak at fall fest is a fuel leak, it's leaking right at or near the fitting jn the firewall where it goes from metal to nylon, I tried tightening it but it still drips about every 5 seconds... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Had a similar problem also where the lines convert.

It was replaced with fuel line from autozone, all the way from the firewall to the fuel rail.

·
7,595 Posts
I just did this repair (right where the metal banjo meets the plastic line). Basically you need to cut the line off clean as close to the metal portion as you can (allowing for repairing the line, but still enough that you can get the line to where it needs to go), then cut the old plastic line off the fitting. Heat the fitting (away from the car and the gas), grab it with vice grips, and stick it in the plastic line. it should stay and no longer leak.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like a plan, i did confirm that its the plastic line leaking and not a metal issue, so i'll probably just do more or less what you guys said, or swap over the lines from my parts car, although i could see that being a relative pain in the ass somehow. thanks for the input.

·
7,595 Posts
when heating the fitting, use a torch and get it hot, but not too hot. I had it in the propane flame for about 20 seconds, and that was enough to let it pop right in and work perfectly, & not catch the car on fire. There is also some sort of special tool for this which does not involve heating the fitting, but without it this is the way to do it.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
"sizzle test" If you put some spit on your finger and it sizzles on the metal fitting it's hot enough to slide into the plastic hose and re-seal like a factory made line :) This is how you replace the pump motors in the fuel pumps too FYI. I always use a little hand held butane torch, but a good heatgun would work too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts