Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after trying not one, but three different fuel filters, I cannot for the life of me get the side with the larger bolt to stop leaking. Doesn't matter how tight or how loose the bolts are, it still leaks. I'm about to say fuck it and have a bbq instead. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have the seals?
Yes, and I made sure to use fresh ones too. Doesn't seem to matter. Can't see anything on that damn banjo fitting, but I guess that doesn't mean its screwed up. I'm halfway tempted to cut that piece off and put in a barb fitting and a normal fuel filter that isn't stupid.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your filter in the correct direction of flow?

The fact that you have done 3 wrong and the job is generally pretty simple says to me something else is going on.
How could it be when the bolts are two different sizes? It can only go one direction. If I switched it, they wouldnt fit through the banjo fittings. At least not on one side. :rolleyes: So no. And I'm well aware of the simplicity of the job, I've done this before on several other vehicles, and this has never been a hassle.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a seal on each side of the bolt?> A total of 4 seals?
Yes, there are two on each bolt, one on either side. While that would seem like the obvious part, that's not it. I'm wondering if maybe there's just some imperfection on the one bolt thats being problematic. I mean it was rusted on there with the old one, but I can't see or feel anything wrong with it. Still not sure.

The first two filters were some crap from Advance, which didn't quite look like the OEM filter in spite of mounting the same (didnt help that the kid at the counter couldnt get the point that its a 900, not a 9000 until I told him about three times). They just said they werent sure either and gave me my money back. The one from Napa looks exactly like the OEM one mostly, but still its doing the same thing, so a shitty filter can't be the cause.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, go get a new banjo bolt and see what happens
Cool, thanks for confirming that. Wasn't sure they existed separately, but I work within walking distance of a Napa, so that's good. They seem to have it together there more so than other parts places.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
advanced is full of idiots. the manager told me they dont make 900se turbos in 95. i have complained formally. napa i love.
Yeah tell me about it. They always tried to sell me Grand Cherokee parts for my 1989 Cherokee. Told the 'tards that since the Grand wasn't made until 1993 and up, that was impossible. They looked at me like I had two heads. Although some of the stuff will bolt up, it sure as hell isn't all a direct swap.

NAPA is great, but apparently no banjo bolts for me. I know, because we looked through their selection several times, and the parts man I trust there said all he could think of was the dealer. Dunno why that is, but to hell with that. I don't need them THAT badly, since the nearest dealer is 45 min away and will probably want $30 for a damn bolt. Then again, I have not messed with the car since monday, so I cant confirm anything right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts