Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 4 of my customers with with C900's that all happen to have Mitsu TE-05's want me to build them 3" downpipes.

Timeline is tentatively through January / February to acomodate the holidays.

One of them is going to leave me their car as a template and I'm going to make them all at once.

I was planning on making myself a few extras to throw up for sale to bring my margins up on it a little.

Is anyone interested in one?

I was only planning on building them with a 5-bolt flange for a TE-05, but if there is serious enough interest (you're willing to make a non-refundable deposit) I'd consider making some for T3 turbos too.

You will have to re-locate the battery for these, to give a nice bend out of the turbo.

They will be $500 + shipping. (If I get more than 10 of these going I will lower the price a little).

They will come with:

-Full 3", mandrel bent sections, 3" diameter the full length.
-Tig welded by hand
-Full stainless construction, so I don't have to deal with painting them (hopefully including the mounting flange in stainless too, have to find somewhere to make them for me)
-2 oxygen sensor bungs - (one for the ECU and one for a wideband sensor to make tuning easier)
-Modified clamp where the bracket that supports the gearbox goes. (you will have to send me yours, or go without it)
-Clamps / weld flanges to mount to cat-back exhaust.

Extras:

+$40 if you are going to mount to a stock-sized exhaust (2.5" diameter tubing), the $40 is just the part cost for a nice tapered transition from Burns Stainless, which can be cut off later to mount to a 3" exhaust.
+$50 for a stainless flex joint.
+$125 for a high-flow 3" metal core sport catalytic converter welded into the middle of the downpipe - this will take the place of the stock catalyst that sits underneath the shifter. (it's smaller than stock, but with it sitting closer to the engine it will operate more efficiently and should have no problem passing smog as long as the car is tuned back to stock for smog.)

.....Or just remove your car and swap stock downpipe and cat back in when / if you have to do a tailpipe test.

If you are seriously interested let me know in a P/M, or send me an e-mail at performance [at] saabtech (dot) net, or reply here, although we all know it will get super cluttered in a super hurry.

Obviously since I haven't made these yet, I don't have any pictures, but this is some of my welding on the cage I am putting in my 99 road racer.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Drew

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Just bought a welder for this exact reason.

Oh well, $500 is abit steep for me right now.

I think these will look great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the process of building my sets up (3" DP) for the 4 clan and jig-ing up a tubular header project to run the Garretts.. Your welds are pristine I must say as great welding is an art.. Mine, not as pretty but the ceramic process will cover most... LOL

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody, realistic timeline for these is going to be after the holidays of course, anyone who is intersted give a call any time - I might have machine shop access to make flanges for a divorced / divided wastgate dump tube, like the ones Brad and Group9 used to make, I'm not sure how much that will raise the price, have to cost that out.

Happy Lazy Sunday everyone.

Drew

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have material here ready to make another, this is the first one that came out.

My brother machined the TE-05 turbine flanges for me because I had trouble finding them for purchase online. Everything is 304 or 304L stainless steel, flange, tubing, flex joint, even the O2 sensor bungs.

See photos at this album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/drewpprice/3Downpipes#

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My '85 with a TE-05 on it drove much better with the headers I made for it - smooths out the top range especially.

Turbo spools faster too.

Now I have a TD-04 6cm^2 on it and it runs great.

I have dyno sheets somewhere of the car with stock fuel system and TE-05 with headers, 3" exhaust, etc, it made like 195whp and 205wtq and torque was just about flat from 4000 to like 5700.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
This picture;

Transmission must be out of gear oil - as your power steering fluid - why is it so clean and dry? Your floors will start to rust w/out the self oiling system operational! **

Nice work Drew! Looks very clean - and as said, nice welds!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Don't worry Burns, the PS leaks quite enough thanks. Trans is shiny because.... it came from c900 Transmission Narnia in Seattle. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
got a 90 conv c900 with a t3 i assume. would love one. have my downpipe from saab savior off my 88 but it would hit the conv's larger frame and the auto trans. will urs be ok?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mmmm, I don't know if I can get an auto trans car any time soon to build one on for you, where does yours hit? I can take a peek tomorrow at work and see.

·
Registered
311 Posts
it doesnt hit now. it did when i bought it. john said it wasnt set up for auto. so my shop cut it and bent it. that was 8 years ago, so my details are sketchy. didnt want to run into same prob

·
Registered
311 Posts
looks like i have a te 05. so good news. i'll have it out of storage in a month and can get the bracket off the trans to send. timeframe? find anything out on an auto with convertible?
thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.