Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1993 Geo Metro LSI
3 Door Coupe/Hatchback
Teal Green
1.0L 3 cylinder - 55HP 58TRQ
5 Speed Manual
about 92,000 miles

I've owned it since April 2008 - had 74,000ish when I bought it
Commute depending you would see 39-45MPG combined.
Best HWY @ 70MPH was 47MPG
Worst HWY was about 32MPG @ 90ISH MPH steady (DeLorean was driving it that time)

Since owning;
Front Brakes - New Pads, Cut Rotors
Spark Plugs (AC Delco)
Wires (Good Quality - can't remember brand)
K&N Cylinder Filter - fits decent, gives the car a bit more throat and throttle response
OEM Cat-back Exhaust (I can include an extra muffler 1 year old)
Catalytic Converter (2007)
New Front Lower Control Arms/Ball Joints
AM/FM Cassette Deck Radio - OEM (NOS)
Pyle Front Speakers
New OEM Antenna Mast Assembly
Gear Oil Changed in 2008 after I bought it
New OEM O2 sensor in 2008 - gained me about 2MPG (it was cheap, why not)
Silver Star Sealed Beam Headlights - they are bright as shit!

It has "needed" a clutch for the last 10,000 miles - given you can drive the car fine daily as I have, just drive it w/out dumping the clutch and it rarely flares or slips - but I have a new Sachs Kit I will include with it.

For my asking price of $3200 -
I will also include a Front Sway Bar with NEW end links from a later model Geo
I will also include a camshaft and PCM from a XFI model which will "de-tune" the motor to a mere 49hp - but could increase the MPG towards an AVERAGE of 50MPG or better as opposed to the current 42MPG. (worth about $250+)

old pictures; Picasa Web Albums - Jeffrey Shore - 1993 Geo Metro

I added the worthless but nice looking "driving lights" used a c900 "on/off switch" too.
I also have installed a VAC gauge to enable a more accurate driving for fuel economy.
It also has a Glass pop-up moon-roof? Removable glass - has dripped a few times, not often - not a leaker.
Every 4,000 miles it has gotten a full synthetic oil change.
Compact Air-Horns installed.

Will need tires - about 4-5/32 tread remains ($200 for all 4 is on the high side of things)
155/80/12 (Yes it has 12" Wheels)

Car has never let me stranded and it's been cared for it's whole life - garaged mostly.

Time to look forward and get a car I can potentially see having a child in the back seat if that day arrives and the replacement is around then. That in mind - it's obviously not a fast nor safe car, but it is ZIPPY and FUN to drive. While doing so you can save LOTS of money on fuel expense to save for that Saab project in the garage which needs more parts.

DeLorean has driven it and is welcome to give his impressions of it.

You can upgrade the suspension with later Geo parts FYI to make it actually HANDLE if that is something you are going for, as it is - it's low to the ground and drives like a go-kart and it's just as much fun.

Located: Lansdale, PA 19446
Asking Price: $3200 with all the extra's mentioned above.

e-mail me if interested - if you PM me it could be a few days for a response as I do not log on everyday.

Hybrids suck - buy my Geo! Get REAL MPG's!

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is a killer deal. I've got a 98 Metro, so I can vouche for the zippyness and fuel savings. They're actually a lot fun to drive and do surprisingly well in the snow with a good set of sneakers. Someone buy this!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ugly as sin, but one hell of a good deal, especially when some predict that gas prices might reach $5 per gallon. Good luck with the sale!

Oh, and if it doesn't sell here, these usually do very, very well on eBay.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If I get the clutch done and put some time into a decent detail I could see $3000 easy I'd think on e-bay if I list it right. But yes - this is an investment car IMHO - once prices hit $5gal in 1-2 years this car SHOULD sell for near $5000! I saw them for $3500-$6000 on ebay in 2008 when gas was $4gal and they had twice the mileage, 4x's the rust and 3x's the dings. This is a good car, and it's as I like to call - near mint. Most of these cars are all rotting out at the A arms - this one is not at all. My $3200 is like the TSL special for now. It's only going to increase in price from this point FYI.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why not replace the clutch? You can literally pick up the engine or transmission by yourself. Probably wouldn't take someone like you more than a few hours, and you'd get one hell of a return on ebay for it.

·
7,595 Posts
Excellent MPG is the cars main positive feature. Acceleration is a lot better than you might think with 55 HP - keep in mind the car weighs 1500 lbs, I think a modern goldwing might outweigh it, though it does also have 3X the HP too :lol:. Handling... very bad, however I talked with a "Metro enthusiast" (Yes, there is such a thing) last summer, and he informed me that these cars can handle, and it is actually fairly simple. They just need the sway bars, 14" wheels and struts from a later 4 cyl LSI model and they do as well as any normal car. As it is with no sway bars, the 12" wheels and the soft suspension... if it weren't for that I might just take burnsside up on his trade offer for the 87 900. If I drove this frequently I would likely drive this car into a ditch by accident and be killed when it failed to negotiate a fast decreasing radius turn.

If you want 50 MPG, could manage with a 3 cyl 55 HP powerplant and or were prepared to do some handling upgrades this would be a great car. I'll keep the speed, safety, handling but get 16 MPG :x

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Oh right. You told me about that. He lives nearby, no? That there are two Metro enthusiasts in North America is at least one too many, methinks.

Good luck with the sale, Burns.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been dragging ass about the clutch for an easy 10,000 miles - I bought the kit 6,000 miles ago afterall... lol My prroblem is, If I do the clutch it's easier to pull the engine with the trans (like 3 more bolts and what 4 connectors lol) and then I was going to do the t-belt, headgasket, cam seals - install the XFI cam, VC gasket and any other oil seals I can get at with the engine out. Then install the XFI ECU and put it all backtogether with a new clutch - I wanted to do it this winter, and I may still do the clutch just to sell it, but as ugly as the car may be - I have grown attached to the little bugger. Plus I am still trying to make more useable space in my garage - if I do that I think I'll actually get the work done to the Geo. I'm thinking if I do all I mentioned to it and then put it for sale I could hope for maybe $4000 as the car will be set for another 60,000+ with a new t-belt. I don't want to get into upgrading the suspension b/c then I'll clearly have to keep it and drive it everyday lol.

FYI - anyone interested in a 1996 GMC Sonoma 2.2L RWD with 225,000 miles averages 19-22MPG commute. It's only rust is the rear wheel arches on the bed and they make repair patches for $45 per side (I may fix it in the spring if I don't sell it before then) I was going to list it for $1800 (has a TON of new parts and is getting some more this week. Drives nice - has a slight off beat idle, but it's much better then when I bought it. Just putting that out there incase you want a non-ugly vehicle for less money and it's a work horse :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is it an actual xfi cam or 3tech cam? I just ordered the 3tech for my Metro and have yet to put it in. At any rate, do it. That's one days work on a Metro and it's a killer return on time invested. Did you see that beater on ebay with 70K+ on it? Easily a POS, but it's going to get at least $2,000.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This thing is tempting on a couple levels. I hate them but I love them too. If I bought this id be embarrased to be seen in it! But my enthusiast side wants to own it.

Blech...I needs a pickup truck pronto. My scion lease is for 3/36 and I'm currently at 2/38. With a bent front bumper cover. I should buy the scion out for like 12k, fix the bumper, sell it for 13k, and buy a used f150 and this bouger geo. But who has the time!

Scion xb not good for hauling 800lb worth of concrete. That's for sure. The thing is surprisingly holding up well but if I keep pounding on it I will regret it l8r

Or I should get rid of the scion and just take you up on the two-fer with the pickup

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is the sonoma stick? What final drive? Does either car have ac?
No a/c in Geo -
Sonoma HAS a/cc - needs a compressor (but it blows cold for about a day before it leaked out the compressor.... lol)

Yes the sonoma is a 5 speed as well - new clutch, ecu, head, battery, cat, exhaust, o2's, fuel pump, water pump, tires, brakes, plugs & wires, getting new belt and tensioner soon with a new center link and u-joints in the mail. Much more done to it - it also has a nice tool box with new locks and a bed/work light I installed. Hauls 500lbs of coal decently. Not sure I'd want to load it up with much larger of a load as it's just a 2.2L 4 banger.... It hauled an Audi 5cylinder turbo motor not long ago. Also has a fresh alignment and PA inspected til 4/11 (but that can be updated).

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Posted on CL - had one older gent come and look at it already within 24 hours of posting it on the CL. He's going to think about it - it was much more of a car then he expected. He said; "it rides much nicer then I was expecting"

Here is a 1994 which just sold on e-bay for my asking price;
Geo : Metro - eBay (item 190497252093 end time Feb-07-11 15:23:13 PST)
HOWEVER - that one is an automatic which is far worse on fuel and much shittier to drive (3 speed auto)

My CL Ad:
1993 GEO METRO LSI MANUAL - FUEL SAVER - ADULT OWNED - RARE

$2800 As Is for any TSL-ers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.