Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FS - 1988 SPG **Now with Pictures** $3000obo

Finally given up the idea of daily driving a modified SPG and bought a new car - so the SPG has to go.

1988 SPG, 2nd owner, have the original purchase paperwork proving it's an original SPG.
129k miles (or thereabouts, still driving it until I pick up the new ride)
-Motor was resealed at 110k, weeps slightly at main seal behind crank pulley. Also has a ticking cam follower when cold.
-New alt, crank pulley, idler, belts. Turbo center section was replaced at 114k. Also has new main and pre-pumps in tank, both Bosch. Fuel filter done as well.
-Seats are pretty good, rear headrests are PERFECT. Some disoloration on the rear seat and a little wear at the bottom of driver's side bolster.
-Lower balljoints both new, CV axles both recent, inner front bushings were done, car drives tight.
-Professionally recovered headliner (sunroof is bare paint, I liked the contrast)
-OEM Crack free dash
-Clutch is new at 110k, clutch master and slave both new.
-Brake discs new, calipers new.
-Curt trailer hitch and wiring, never towed anything more than my boston whaler (about 600#)

MODS:
SD red performance springs
Bilstein HDs all around
2.1L head with light valve job, SPG intake cam and T5 (96 9000 Aero) exhaust cam
2.1L intake with mild porting done
2.3L square fuel rail/reg with custom mounts
'91 transmission
Stebro Stainless custom full exhaust, 2.5" with glasspack and high flow cat.
Converted to manual belts. Headliner is correct, a pillar covers are not.

Bad:
-Seats, as mentioned.
-Car has pretty typical dings and dents, rear quarter on driver's side is wrinkled above the tail light
-Radio has something goofy with the antenna, sometimes a lot of screeching when using radio. Tape deck works when it wants to.
-Cruise doesn't work - probably an easy fix but never tried.
-Seat heaters don't work, disconnected.
-Rust: A few pinholes above front left wheel. Rocker panel on passenger's side inside door. Catch tray just ahead of Passenger's lower Aarm. Mounts are solid but could use attention before it gets worse. Front of rocker panels in both doors (just begining). Also a bit soft right ahead of the jack point on passenger's front. Car is solid and no structural problems, floors are good.
-Trans is not right. Drives fine in all gears, 2nd synchros occasionally grind a bit. Stays in reverse fine. Shift doesn't feel right - 4th gear is stiff and sometimes gets stuck. May just be an alingment problem, haven't really looked into it yet.
-Power Steering on it's way out. Works fine when warm outside, takes a while to start working when it's cold. Leaks. Takes a couple miles to loosen up in the winter, never even notice it in good weather.
-Hard starts. Check valve on fuel pump isn't working properly, just haven't gotten around to replacing it.
-Headlights, typical saab fashion, have started to come loose from mounting points. I just snap them back into place, but ought to be fixed or replaced for a nice car.

Baseline, this is a decent quality driver. I've been daily driving it for the last 19,000 miles with few problems. Sunroof doesn't leak, no odd squeaks or rattles beyond what you would expect. Would make an EXCELLENT source of parts, or could easily be saved and made into a very nice SPG without a whole lot of effort. Sounds very nice, very peppy.

Extras:
Aluminum saab letter louvers, with hardware.
Good shape front and rear bumpers
Front and rear seats with good leather from a '91 SPG. They need a thorough cleaning but look pristine.
Set of 16" aeros. Refinished in SPG silver without polished lips. These wheels are PERFECT. No flaws, at all. Currently have 2 new 205/50's for the front and the rears have 195/65s (which were a mistake and rub like crazy, have maybe 50 miles on them and took them off). Pictures above taken prior to refinishing

I'm looking for $3000 for the car, I'd include all the spare stuff for $3500.

The 16" aero wheels I'd like to get $800 for.

All subject to offers, of course.

Pics here (and below) 1988 SPG pictures by SonomaGT519 - Photobucket

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That exhaust sounds awesome! Sorry to hear it's up for sale. Looks nice! What's the new car?
*donning flame suit*

2010 HHR SS w/ 5 speed stick

Looks like it will be Sat. before I can upload pictures - my personal PC is completely FUBAR at the moment...

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
:(

You were like the first ever to try a T5 swap on a c900.

Epic sadness.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Oh, you bought a mini-delivery van! Did you opt for the panel version at least so no-one can see who's driving it until they are right next to you? I think the "HHR" is just a step above those "SSR" camino things... I guess it's better then a Miata :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, you bought a mini-delivery van! Did you opt for the panel version at least so no-one can see who's driving it until they are right next to you? I think the "HHR" is just a step above those "SSR" camino things... I guess it's better then a Miata :D
Nope, the one pictured is the one I bought - picking it up tomorrow, dealer is having it detailed.

I honestly can't say I'm a huge fan of the styling, but it looks sharp in SS trim from most angles, and it's peppy - I saw 16psi in traffic and it will spin tires in the low gears, even with traction control :D

In all seriousness, it's got comparable room to the SPG, it can tow about the same, it's pretty comfy and it feels tight on the road, so it seemed like a suitable replacement. I wouldn't even consider a regular HHR, and the SSR was a giant pig.

I do not think my love affair with SPGs is over, but I can't afford to keep this one as a project at this stage in the game.

Now, bump for the sale ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures

Finally got a working computer... long story. Anyway, whole slew of pictures:

Floors are PERFECT

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And some of the extras:

good set of Nordfrost's

original SAAB roof rack w/ crossbars

SAAB logo all weather mat

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Doesn't look too bad at all. The pictured rust doesn't look like it would be difficult at all to fix. The question people will naturally ask themselves though, is if they'll encounter more, perhaps previously unseen, rust when they start "peeling back the onion." The big pluses for the car are:

-History.....you have the actual purchase paperwork proving it's a real SPG. I doubt that less than 10% of other SPG owners have this. That's great to see.
-All the maintenance
-Nice interior...new headliner and crack-free dash are huge pluses for me. These things are usually TOAST and can be a PIA to replace.
-The stainless exhaust and other performance parts..probably worth your price alone.

Overall, I think your price is pretty reasonable. Sure it has issues, but there aren't many 2-3k classic SPG'
s that won't. If people want pristine, they should look to spend 5-8k, not half of that amount. I would post better pictures in daylight, so you can better represent your classic. And if I were you, I would do no negotiating until an interested buyer actually comes, sees, and drives the car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Doesn't look too bad at all. The pictured rust doesn't look like it would be difficult at all to fix. The question people will naturally ask themselves though, is if they'll encounter more, perhaps previously unseen, rust when they start "peeling back the onion." The big pluses for the car are:

-History.....you have the actual purchase paperwork proving it's a real SPG. I doubt that less than 10% of other SPG owners have this. That's great to see.
-All the maintenance
-Nice interior...new headliner and crack-free dash are huge pluses for me. These things are usually TOAST and can be a PIA to replace.
-The stainless exhaust and other performance parts..probably worth your price alone.

Overall, I think your price is pretty reasonable. Sure it has issues, but there aren't many 2-3k classic SPG'
s that won't. If people want pristine, they should look to spend 5-8k, not half of that amount. I would post better pictures in daylight, so you can better represent your classic. And if I were you, I would do no negotiating until an interested buyer actually comes, sees, and drives the car.
x2

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doesn't look too bad at all. The pictured rust doesn't look like it would be difficult at all to fix. The question people will naturally ask themselves though, is if they'll encounter more, perhaps
previously unseen, rust when they start "peeling back the onion."
I can certainly understand that concern, been there done that myself :D ... that said, I've absolutely combed this car and what I've mentioned and pictured is it. I never intended to sell this one - life has a way of changing your plans.

YES indeed they are. That dash was a MONSTER :shock: . I bought an entire SPG just to get the headliner, too - tally red '91, too rusty to save

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.