Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looks like the oil feed got clogged, cutting off lubrication to the bearings, and causing the shaft to overheat, jam and break.

At least it didn't completely grenade and do damage to some other components.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I was expecting to see gore pics of a mice chewed up inside a turbine...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Technically, I think if I could get rid of the 3/8" of thrust movement in the shaft.....this would probably be a better turbo than what originally came on it. The removed material is less rotating mass, which means it would spin faster with less effort, and the jagged edges should provide choppy airflow, to better mix fuel and air.

I think I'm going to present this to Garrett and see what they think. I'm onto something here....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
mice and rats do have INCREDIBLE biting force, but I doubt it's enough to actually eat away the metal from the turbo turbine like that. Probably the oil feed thing, that sounds pretty accurate to me (I don't have a clue about turbos though, just sounds good)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I feel you man, not to that extent, but i did find 4 dead mice when i tore out the hood insulator and a pretty hefty nest in the vents going to the cabin filter. Even with a new cabin filter my car still sometimes smells like mouse turd. Little basturds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My turbo shed its' exhaust turbine completely..there were vanes right down the downpipe..oil starvation was the reason..the inline filters plugged up and that was that.The new oil line banjo dosen't have the line filters..duh!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I replaced all the lights and such that were burned out in my dash and center console of my c900, and I found a dead mouse and a nest next to the ignition cylinder,
(right there where all those leaves were)
and a dead mouse under the intake manifold. Oh and I found one in between the hubcap and the steely on my c900 this winter like 3 weeks ago. Just saw the tail poking out, took off the hubcap and there he was. Gross to say the least. He probably climbed in through one of the holes in the wheel cause the brake rotor was warm, and then fell asleep and when I went out the next morning and drove 20 miles to school at highway speeds, the centrifugal force killed him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.