Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still messing around with the new DSLR and thought I might upload a few pictures of my friends vdub for constructive criticism.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Good pictures, but I think you need a little more distance for some added perspective. That, plus a car worthy of a dslr would be awesome. Either way, keeping on snapping photos....practice is the best way to get better at anything.

Also, what is that VW painted with? Some pictures look like flat black/grey, others look like some textured paint.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Funny, I just got a deal on a dslr (d40) and my friend has a similar looking Jetta that he's messing around with (since he completely disassembled his Ovlov 242t).

I haven't really taken pics of his car yet though.

I'll have to email him a link to this.

In the fourth picture, he used the vw emblem (from the grill) as a stencil on the hood and purposely got gold overspray on the car. Kind of cool. At least that's what looks like is going on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks andrew, and I agree from everything I've read in photography practice really does make perfect (that and messing around with my dads 35mm slr since I was 5 helps haha).

Oh and it's all flat black, idk if the lighting makes it look different, or that fact that its just a rattle can job. And yea he actually laid out a stencil from what I can tell, since its very large, and yea the overspray was intentional. It looks better in person.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i had alot of problems with mine. the reason i dont have it anymore it caught fire! yeah but it was a nice car and fun to drive.
You've got to be kidding me. I don't know if it went down the same way, but that's the exact same reason I don't have mine. I mean just a short story - we picked up the 89' Jetta with close to about 402 thousand on it (yes that much, but we got it for 500 bucks). My dad had it for its first 3 years, and we took it on trips everything - adding an additional 120 thousand miles. Then I got it as my first car (lucky me! haha) and it had its share of issues - but still worth fixing as to it was a strong running car. Never leaked oil - only burned it haha. But then a week after the odo gave out at 610k, I went to flick the lights on at night, and boom a fire goes from that wiring to the computer, the fuse box, and everything. I mean the actual body and engine was fine, but then it wasn't worth fixing haha. It just killed me the thing having over 600 thousand on the original engine and tranny and then a fire killing it. It's a shame. :eek:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I was kinda thinking the same thing. A good photo isn't only the primary subject, but the entire picture--background, lighting, framing, depth all work to compose a great shot.

You've got a good start, but keep practicing. Take a ton of shots and learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Keep the camera off of auto mode too. Take every shot several times, with a bunch of different setting. You should be able to learn a bit that way about how the setting affect the outcome. Naturally it would be helpful to read up on what the different settings are and what they do, and how the relate to one another...plenty of info online about all of that.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Yea, riding in his, even if it has huge differences, reminded me of my mk2.
Kinda makes me miss it.
This. I had a mk2 GLI and miss that interior almost weekly. Everything about it is classic.

For the pictures, while I am no expert, just remember the rule of thirds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You've got to be kidding me. I don't know if it went down the same way, but that's the exact same reason I don't have mine. I mean just a short story - we picked up the 89' Jetta with close to about 402 thousand on it (yes that much, but we got it for 500 bucks). My dad had it for its first 3 years, and we took it on trips everything - adding an additional 120 thousand miles. Then I got it as my first car (lucky me! haha) and it had its share of issues - but still worth fixing as to it was a strong running car. Never leaked oil - only burned it haha. But then a week after the odo gave out at 610k, I went to flick the lights on at night, and boom a fire goes from that wiring to the computer, the fuse box, and everything. I mean the actual body and engine was fine, but then it wasn't worth fixing haha. It just killed me the thing having over 600 thousand on the original engine and tranny and then a fire killing it. It's a shame. :eek:
yeah, same thing with mine. the odo went from 90,000 to 210,000 in a mile then boom! go from there ! Hey, idk about you but, seemed like every problem i had with my 91 happened at night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts