Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends is looking for something not quite so harsh riding for the DC potholes. He wants to keep the stock wheels and runflats so there will always be a little harsh ride, but looking for something not quite so jarring.

I know that the 335i and the xi have different setups. But anyone have an idea where to start? He is willing to look into Dinan if needed but hoping to not have to spend that much at the moment.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it have a factory sport suspension?
All 335xi's had the "sport suspension" springs due to the AWD system and extra weight. The base and the "sport" optioned xi had the same suspension, only wheels and interior bits were changed. This is unlike the 335i though in that with the sport package it got a change of suspension.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why the hell would he want to keep the run flats? That change alone will be exactly what he's looking for without altering the suspension.
They don't come with a spare and he drives all over DC and to NYC often. He doesn't want the risk of a flat.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
All 335xi's had the "sport suspension" springs due to the AWD system and extra weight. The base and the "sport" optioned xi had the same suspension, only wheels and interior bits were changed. This is unlike the 335i though in that with the sport package it got a change of suspension.
Its actually the opposite (sort of i guess), all XI cars had standard suspension (still pretty sporty, comparable to a non sport rwd), only the RWD cars had lower and stiffer sport suspension when equipped with the sport package, which sat a little lower. My parents had an XI coupe (what motivated me to buy my 335) and it had the same suspension as a non sport car, i was disappointed by that. I wouldn't screw with it, it will only ride harder, its a very compliant ride, get some factory 17's for DC.

I could be wrong but i remember researching this crap pretty thoroughly and being annoyed as hell.

if he has 17's the continental SSR is a good tire for a run flat, one of the oem choices and much better than the crapstones, 18's michelin pilot sport psp, also much better than the crapstone re050 rft

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
They don't come with a spare and he drives all over DC and to NYC often. He doesn't want the risk of a flat.
I used to drive all around DC when I was in college and lived around NYC for 3 years. Never got a flat with normal tires in 5 years of driving in those areas.

Personally, I think run flats are a waste. But, JLausch posted good info.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I agree runflats suck in general. I just use them because i don't have a spare, although i'm considering getting a mobility kit (compressor and other tire fixing related shit) from bmw and keeping it in the spare tire well. I just kept with them because i wanted the michelins and the price increase isn't that bad, plus they really are good tires.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its actually the opposite (sort of i guess), all XI cars had standard suspension (still pretty sporty, comparable to a non sport rwd), only the RWD cars had lower and stiffer sport suspension when equipped with the sport package, which sat a little lower. My parents had an XI coupe (what motivated me to buy my 335) and it had the same suspension as a non sport car, i was disappointed by that. I wouldn't screw with it, it will only ride harder, its a very compliant ride, get some factory 17's for DC.

I could be wrong but i remember researching this crap pretty thoroughly and being annoyed as hell.

if he has 17's the continental SSR is a good tire for a run flat, one of the oem choices and much better than the crapstones, 18's michelin pilot sport psp, also much better than the crapstone re050 rft
He has the 17's and I assume the SSR tires if it was the OEM choice. His is an '09 Sedan. I'll forward this on.

I used to drive all around DC when I was in college and lived around NYC for 3 years. Never got a flat with normal tires in 5 years of driving in those areas.

Personally, I think run flats are a waste. But, JLausch posted good info.
Not my choice, it is his and what he is going after. Personally I have driven around this area without a spare in my trunk for years as well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I know the 3 series used to offer 16" wheels, those might work if they clear the brakes of the 335. It sounds like your friend is not a sporty driver, a smaller wheel might be all the car needs.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
16's will not clear a 335's brakes, 17 is the smallest option, 225/45/17, it should handle everything really well. in this guys opinion atleast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts