Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's one I've never encountered before.

Had to run a couple of errands tonight. So we load up the twins and head out. We don't even get a half mile from the house when all the idiot lights light up, the instruments though go to zero (gas, speedometer, etc.), the center console -- ACC and radio controls -- light up to their brightest, radio turns on full blast with a loud "POP" scaring the crap out of the twins, and both headlights are blown. (Funnily enough though the 5-watt driving lights are fine.) It reminded me of a scene from "Close Encounters" where everything in the utility truck just turns on. LOL! No, no little green men, but one helluva green gremlin...

Engine-wise all is normal. Car never throws a code, and never goes into limp-home mode. Nevertheless, we turn around, park it, and take the 9-7X instead.

I'm having it flat-bedded to my local indie, S & S, for fear of either stranding me, or worse, another electrical surge killing electronics (frying the T7 perhaps?) -- there're what? ~13 microprocessors in the 9-5?

Anyhow, any ideas? I figure alternator going bad.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
wow. alt. definitly sounds like a possibility to me, but an odd failure at best!

hopefully marty or drew p will chime in, i've never seen anything like that.

xenon bulbs?

did everything work fine after that?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Standard headlights.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, thinking along the lines of alternator/VR. We shall see.

T'was very bizzare. Wife was ready to pull the parachute and bail then and there...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Voltage regulator?

Sound freaky.
That was my gut feeling reading this. Sounds very much like the VR on the alternator which has failed. Also could be a shorted battery - but this could be a result of a bad VR.

FYI - rebuilt Alt. are cheaper then the parts and labor to replace the VR on a 9-5 or 9-3 generation unit.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seriously.

The car sits for now. Rollback coming this afternoon.

Hmmm. Guess I'll have to submit a photo to the "Saabs being towed" thread....

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Verdict is in:

as we all suspected, alternator. While it's in, I'm having the AC looked at (recall my post on the driver's zone not cooling....).

Towed at 2:30, callback by 4. Should have it back tomorrow. Sometimes it's just easier having someone do it than DIY...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Verdict is in:

as we all suspected, alternator. While it's in, I'm having the AC looked at (recall my post on the driver's zone not cooling....).

Towed at 2:30, callback by 4. Should have it back tomorrow. Sometimes it's just easier having someone do it than DIY...
Where do you get it serviced? Looking for a place near DC I think you said Viking in Gaithersburg is good is that right?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Viking is fantastic. Eric Heyse is good people, but a bit far for me. Since I live 50 miles west of DC, getting to Gaithersburg can be a challenge.

S&S is within 15 minutes of me in New Baltimore, Va. (South of Gainesville, north of Warrenton on Rt. 29), have loaners if I need them, and their own towing. Not a bad set up.

·
10,303 Posts
Where do you get it serviced? Looking for a place near DC I think you said Viking in Gaithersburg is good is that right?
Rude sears by Viking too, he also keeps an eye on thier lot at night. I have yet to try them.

There is also Harvey's Auto in Finksburg MD. I haven't made it up there but he lent me his caliper tool last month.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Rude sears by Viking too, he also keeps an eye on thier lot at night. I have yet to try them.

There is also Harvey's Auto in Finksburg MD. I haven't made it up there but he lent me his caliper tool last month.
Viking is fantastic. Eric Heyse is good people, but a bit far for me. Since I live 50 miles west of DC, getting to Gaithersburg can be a challenge.

S&S is within 15 minutes of me in New Baltimore, Va. (South of Gainesville, north of Warrenton on Rt. 29), have loaners if I need them, and their own towing. Not a bad set up.
thanks guys the 86 C900 needs some loving for winter and I have some issues with the 9-5 that I need to get a TechII read on ( once I get it back together again), I will take it by Viking Next week if the guys at Gerneal sales back in PA don;t have time tomorrow or Sat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts