Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've thought about making this thread a few times... Finally going for it since I know I'm not the only one.

Did you used to own a Viggen? Did you sell it? Despite their shortcomings (FWDLOL, slow, fat chick opel chassis) Are you tempted to buy another? Do you feel a twinge of jealousy every time someone posts their new acquisition? Do you find yourself checking craigslist 5 seconds after you read said post?

Share your thoughts, opinions, rants, yearnings, analogies, etc in this thread. Some memorable responses from around TSL:

Yeah, but theres still something about a viggen, maybe for me its the sentimental value (i had one previously) but with all its chasis flaws, it makes it that much more interesting and raw to drive, also, i <3 torque steer. Also once you remedy its handling short comings, its a lighter car.
Oh I know, I had an 02 red 3 door. Gorgeous thing. I want it back once a week. But I still hated its handling and road manners. :)

Sigh:

I know, right? Blasted cars. My brain says "Ooh, a Viggen, Want! You had one, dummy. Remember how it drove? Like a deuce. You sold it. Yeah but lookkkkk! Want! The wing - the wheels - the body kit - the bluuuuuuueeeeee! Want! You shut your mouth, whore."

The Viggen is your ex-gf who didn't cook, never cleaned, was terrible in bed, complained like crazy, would occasionally threaten you with physical violence and would drain your bank account BUT SHE LOOKED SO HAWT.
I've made the same analogy many times. So so so true. You forget why you broke up, only to remember how ridiculously good she looked, and have to remind yourself that you split for a reason.

The fact that my 88 convertible handles better than my 02 with a roof, says something.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
Step 1: Buy a 9-5 Aero
Step 2: Enjoy better chassis
Step 3: Paint car LB
Step 4: Pussy Magnet
Step 5: Zingzach storage for the winter for sacred car

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Yup. God I miss that car. No I don't YES I DO.

Funny that yllwjet's MCY had me thinking about one again. But I can't. I just can't... right?

Seriously though, wtf is it with Viggens? There are so many superior cars out there, but I can so easily rationalize revisiting the fiery loins of the flawed Swedish goddess.

Here I go again. DIAFIJ.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
PS - There's a reason I searched so long for a red SPG. Date someone who looks like the person you used to date, etc.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
i keep going back and forth with mine.... its raping me blind with money and yet i cant let her go.... first Saab and a Viggen to boot.... i just cant bring myself to get rid of it. i think i would have the same regret i do for my 87' RX-7 i had. wont another one so bad but cant justify it right now.... two money pits is not feesible in my current economic state. but Viggens have that lusted after appeal. that dream car status of something thats attainable but is tricky to negotiate and leave you crying and smiling at the same time....

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
Throw some more stickers on it, that should up the reliability*

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
that dream car status of something thats attainable but is tricky to negotiate and leave you crying and smiling at the same time....
I think that's a big part of it. If it doesn't break your heart, it's harder to get attached to it. For that reason I'll probably never sell my vert while my SPG is the "extra" car. As much as I like it, it hasn't made me question my sanity yet, so the bond is weak. (I won't but) I could sell it tomorrow for the right price. My vert, on the other hand, would take 3x fair market to let it go.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I know I didn't like driving my Viggen 'vert... I know it was floppy as all-get-out over bumps... I like my 9-5 so much better....

But I do keep an eye out for another one every other day.... what it wrong with me???

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I am avoiding buying a Viggen for this reason. Until I end up buying one on accident sometime then I will be in the same sad boat as you. It will be like that girl you brought home from the bar, had your way with, then in the morning, you realize that she robbed your residence of all your possessions and peed on the floor... And now lives there and wont move out!

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I think that's a big part of it. If it doesn't break your heart, it's harder to get attached to it. For that reason I'll probably never sell my vert while my SPG is the "extra" car. As much as I like it, it hasn't made me question my sanity yet, so the bond is weak. (I won't but) I could sell it tomorrow for the right price. My vert, on the other hand, would take 3x fair market to let it go.
I know this feeling well. I forget I have the convertible sometimes. Little Red? Never.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Funny you made this thread. I've been searching all over to get a Viggen again. While they do have quirks and downfalls, I feel thats the reason we love them so much. They have personality and look oh so beautiful!

There is no question..I'll have another Viggen within the next few months.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cmon, all it takes is springs, shocks, bushings, braces, sway bars, tires, and unicorn horn shavings to make the car handle as well as my friend's 98 camry. NBD right guys? Guys?

For realz though, I've been thinking about a replacement fun-to-drive DD for a while and I just can't justify it. The viggen has a great look, has "entertaining" handling after completing the above, has pretty good power, and gets great mileage while being comfortable and practical. I'd be so depressed watching it roll out the driveway with a new owner...I nearly cried when I got in an accident with mine a few years back, and just about popped a clot when the bitch of an insurance rep said it would likely be totaled out ("Sir...SIR, its a 9 year old Saab, sir, what do you expect." CUE RAGE). Thankfully it wasn't! Now cmon, stop lamenting your lost forearm wrenching love and go buy another one. I hear they make great winter beaters*

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
People ask if I miss it.

I do not.

I am really good in the car department and have my bases covered.

BUT, I still like looking at cheap cars. $500-2500 cars.

Now I see Viggens hitting these low price points and I admit it, I like them a lot as a frivolous cheap car purchase.

BUT, I also bought my cousin a damn nice 9-5 Aero for $3200. It's a much better car in many respects.

Doesn't matter.

The Viggen was the car that NON-Saab people said was the first Saab they found to be attractive looking.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
lol you shut your damn face! you dont even own one! you own a Ford! i dont wanna hear it!!

:flipoff:
You need to read up about current Saabeh events. I should have my own section.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The Viggen was the car that NON-Saab people said was the first Saab they found to be attractive looking.
For me I had a LOT more people who were not saab fans compliment my old SPG vs my Viggen for being a good looking car. Seems like most saab fans think the viggen is the best looking saab ever made but for me the old SPG attracted a lot more non-saab attention

That being said yea the chassis sucks.... if 7 years ago manual 9-5 aero wagons were cheaper that's what I would be driving today. Thank you to Nick/Genuine Saab for all the suspension stuff they sell to make the chassis bearable

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I know I didn't like driving my Viggen 'vert... I know it was floppy as all-get-out over bumps... I like my 9-5 so much better....

But I do keep an eye out for another one every other day.... what it wrong with me???
Exactly why I got rid of my ng900 vert, especially after that one canyon run we did! I am curious to see how a 3 door handles, I'd imagine it is a big improvement over the convertible chassis.

I still remember every time I'd jack one side of the car up and not being able to open the doors since the chassis flex wedged the windows up into the convertible roof.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts