Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I was wondering how hard it would be to install fog lights on a c900 that doesn't have fog lights on it already. Where could I get a c900 switch for the lights, and where do I connect them. I know that there is a fuse. I don't imagine it would be hard, are there some connectors for fog lights by the grill of something? I know it shouldn't be hard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Hey Guys, I was wondering how hard it would be to install fog lights on a c900 that doesn't have fog lights on it already. Where could I get a c900 switch for the lights, and where do I connect them. I know that there is a fuse. I don't imagine it would be hard, are there some connectors for fog lights by the grill of something? I know it shouldn't be hard.

Thanks.
Seeb did produce a foglight wiring harness kit for c900's which don't have foglight wiring from the factory (sold as part # 207 708 009), and I used one of those kits in my 83 900S for a time before I salvaged it prior to scrapping the car to re-use in my 81 turbo sedan (not yet done).

You can find foglight switches on Ebay, and if you go here I have scanned the instructions that came with the kit for anyone who's interested in the wiring schematic details.

I think Saab began including foglight wiring from some (or all) 1985 build year production. My 89 900i had almost all the wiring ex-factory so it was just a matter of installing the section it didn't have, inserting a fuse, relay and connecting a switch after fitting the lights themselves.

Craig.

·
10,303 Posts
In 4 years you can hit up pick and pull junkyards and see what you can find.

I will keep my eyes out for a switch for ya.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't go to a junk yard till I'm 18? I'm 15 in 3 months so like 3 years, but thanks man.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The car does not have fog lights now, but it may have had them at one time. They hang low and often get smashed. If they get broken, they are often just removed altogether. Are you the original owner?

You can tell if a car had fogs if the horizontal fins on the lower valance have been cut away in the fog light area. Those pieces need to be cut away so that the brackets from behind the bumper can clear the valence.

Since it's a '91, it's likely already wired for fogs. It's not cost effective for car companies to have a bunch of different wiring harnesses based on options. The harnesses are usually the same, so any dealer-added options can just be plug and play.

The 2-wire plugs for the fogs are behind the bumper, usually zip-tied to the frame or radiator surround near the tow hooks. If the car had fogs that were removed, the plugs could have just been cut off though.

The switch is on the lower left of the gauge cluster. I can't recall what color the plug on the wire harness for the switch is, but It's likely right behind the opening.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car does not have fog lights now, but it may have had them at one time. They hang low and often get smashed. If they get broken, they are often just removed altogether. Are you the original owner?

You can tell if a car had fogs if the horizontal fins on the lower valance have been cut away in the fog light area. Those pieces need to be cut away so that the brackets from behind the bumper can clear the valence.

Since it's a '91, it's likely already wired for fogs. It's not cost effective for car companies to have a bunch of different wiring harnesses based on options. The harnesses are usually the same, so any dealer-added options can just be plug and play.

The 2-wire plugs for the fogs are behind the bumper, usually zip-tied to the frame or radiator surround near the tow hooks. If the car had fogs that were removed, the plugs could have just been cut off though.

The switch is on the lower left of the gauge cluster. I can't recall what color the plug on the wire harness for the switch is, but It's likely right behind the opening.
I am not the original owner, 1 owner before me. But there is no switch in the cabin, just a blank square where it would be.

·
User
9,193 Posts
It's easy if the wires are already there. Just get the brackets and lenses and hook em up. The brackets have 2 10mm bolts per bracket that screw into the back of the bumper. You remove the 3 torx screws holding the grille in (assuming all of the tabs are in tact on the grille), and then you will have access to the back of the bumper from there.

If the wires are there, I would say all in all, maybe a 20 - 30 min installation for a first timer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks Zach, oh I popped out the fog light plate, where the switch should be, and there was already a socket for a foglight switch, w/ contacts. I had to do that to hold the back of the rheostat. The rheostat is fine, I need new bulbs, it dimmed the hazard, defrost, A/C and recirc. buttons, but didn't do anything to the cabin air knobs.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Yep, so all you should need is the fog brackets, the lights themselves and the switch. It should be all plug and play and very straight forward. You might need the relay as well. Not sure. Best bet would be to go to a local junkyard.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh I took a look today, the brakets are there, the wires and sockets are zip tied to the radiator, and the relay, fuse, and switch connection all have contacts, that's gonna be my next project.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Not likely you'll find an unbroken pair of fogs at the junk yard, but they are on ebay all the time. You don't need to get SAAB specific fogs. The lights that SAAB (and others) used were Bosch Pilot 150. If you search ebay for Bosch fog lights you'll see lots of the Pilot 150s. You can also buy them new from several sellers online. Just do a search. You may need to change the wire connectors if you don't get SAAB-specific ones, but that's not a big deal. Or you could just cut a couple 2-wire connections off a different part of a SAAB wire harness at the junk yard.

My friend Mark McCort's fog light entries on Hemmings Auto Blog:
A bit closer to Seeing The Light
I see the light.

They also have amber lenses for them which is what I put on my car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw some awesome LED's for like $25-$35 at Wal-Mart and Autozone. I'll probably just get them, they have a blue tinge to them. I'd like to get some head light bulbs that are that color, the ice blue color, what are they called? You see them a lot on newer Audi's and Lexus's.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i have an extra set with the L bracket i bought for my 90 SPG the dont fit maybe some one else will chime in about the L bracketi dont remember if its pre or post 90

·
User
9,193 Posts
Not likely you'll find an unbroken pair of fogs at the junk yard, but they are on ebay all the time.
No, but you can find the other bits if he had needed them ;). The lenses are the easy thing to purchase. I was just suggesting the junkyard for the brackets, relay, wiring, and switch.

And the L brackets will definitely work on any 87-93 c900 and 94 verts... not sure about 86 and earlier, part of me thinks they are the same.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, thanks so much guys. you help me a lot in my decisions. haha

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
skip the fogs and jump to a set of hella's..... = ) big lights for cooking down the back roads at night

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
HID's are for NOOBS
And illegal to retrofit into light housings not originally designed for HID (at least here in Australia that's the case).

Craig.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts