Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used the Yonaka type 6 intercooler? And if so, any recs for plumbing? I was going to use siliconeintakes.com for the plumbing, they seem to have a wide variety of tubes and bends.

~Junkie

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You are right, I should be more specific: there are a few 2.5" kits, all titled "DEL SOL Crx Jdm," but with different contents. Just curious as to which might be best suited for a c900 application.

To those who have been successful, pics of an install would be great too!

Thx.
Andy

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Just a word of, well, shall we say, awareness...?

CXRacing is actually a Chinese company, hence the extremely low price. I didn't know this when I bought a waterjacket intercooler (aka, chargecooler) from them. The quality is very high but if you're concerned about "buying American"....

I personally am neutral on the topic, but I know many are not. GTO community flat-out refuses to buy from them... YMMV.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just a word of, well, shall we say, awareness...?

CXRacing is actually a Chinese company, hence the extremely low price. I didn't know this when I bought a waterjacket intercooler (aka, chargecooler) from them. The quality is very high but if you're concerned about "buying American"....

I personally am neutral on the topic, but I know many are not. GTO community flat-out refuses to buy from them... YMMV.
So the GTO community has No problem with GM spending over a Billion Dollars "Literally" in Australia so the Australians can build and sell us back Re badged Holdens as GTO's but wouldn't Dare to buy A Chinese part even though the Sports sedan and I'd bet that Holden wanna be GTO was built with OEM Chinese parts like the rest of the GM lines. Don't get me Wrong I love the "HoldenGTO" but I See OEM GM Made chinese parts on all the GM stuff I've worked on in the last couple years. Sounds like Racist American Stupidity to me.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
a 2.5 system fits alot nicer than a 3in setup. and i dont think the extra core will be missed at out sub 350hp levels

and if your intercooler is to big the the rad kinda stops working due to lack of airflow,,, youll understand it on a hot summer day

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
If I was going to do something like that, I would want the end result to not interfere with the standard headlights, etc.

I've considered FMIC options for my 81 turbo 8V sedan but concluded that it isn't feasible as I don't want to hack at the radiator support member and there doesn't seem to be a way to properly route plumbing to an FMIC (I was angling at using a Volvo 760 one) without mods to the structural parts at the front of the car.

However it may be more doable on C900's that have different front-end parts (like the non-euro type headlights that US-spec 900's had in early years) which might give more room to route piping.

Craig.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll post on how my set up works when I get it. I hope to use keep my e-codes, but only time will tell if it is feasible. I already moved the horn on the right and it looks like a fair amount of room. We'll see on the left.

~Junkie

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll post on how my set up works when I get it. I hope to use keep my e-codes, but only time will tell if it is feasible. I already moved the horn on the right and it looks like a fair amount of room. We'll see on the left.

~Junkie
When I helped 99Sven do his, twice, for the headlight wiper. We only had to cut to hooks. 2 1/2 inch core and inlet/outlet.
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/Another-Satisfied-Customer?page=1

It was my second FMIC and went pretty quick as long as you have all the U bend material, straights, silicone hoses and clamps.
A bead roller would be nice, but adding a weld bead along the ends works too.
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/Another-Satisfied-Customer/IMG_0913.jpg

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
If I was going to do something like that, I would want the end result to not interfere with the standard headlights, etc.

I've considered FMIC options for my 81 turbo 8V sedan but concluded that it isn't feasible as I don't want to hack at the radiator support member and there doesn't seem to be a way to properly route plumbing to an FMIC (I was angling at using a Volvo 760 one) without mods to the structural parts at the front of the car.

However it may be more doable on C900's that have different front-end parts (like the non-euro type headlights that US-spec 900's had in early years) which might give more room to route piping.

Craig.
i get the intercooler pictured in without hacking up the rad suport, however i didnt need to trim the oil cooler housing.

the pipes fit under the tow hooks just fine

·
Registered
51 Posts

both the intercooler and pipes came from Cxracing. All I need to get some 3" t clamps and it is finished.
What are the dimensions of the intercooler? I'm about to remove the A/C unit on my 87 and go whole hog...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts