Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought I had one of those genuine Saab tools, but I can't find it and only have an aftermarket tool that is being annoying to use. I can bolt it to the engine just fine in my 81 turbo car, but it won't stop turning when I apply a lot of force to the crank pulley nut and I don't want to tighten the bolt (using a longer one) too much in case I strip the thread in the block. Might have to go with the 'bump the starter' method if I can work out a place to put the handle of my breaker bar (similar to what I did recently when renewing the crank pulley on my 9000).

Is the torque of the crank pulley nut meant to be 150+ ft/lb like it is with a B202 engine? Going to be fun tightening it back up after replacing the leaking crankshaft seal. :cool:

The tool I have is one of these:

Flywheel Lock Tool for Saab Citroen Fiat Peugeot - eBay (item 170600383176 end time Mar-09-11 04:04:20 PST)

For those of you who've tried the screwdriver method, can you describe where to place it or better yet show a pic (or several) of how you have used a screwdriver to lock the flywheel (or auto trans driveplate in my car's case) against movement?

Craig.

·
Registered
253 Posts
did you try to jam something in the space/slot between the mounting nut and the gear ?the saab tool cant move once it is mounted.
here is a homemade tool but its the same as a saab tool.note there is no slot so if you jam yours up it might work.if not i could make one of these for you.
for some reason i cant post the pic a second time look under the thread "saab TOOLS" for the photo..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I usually enlist a friend to jam a bigass flathead screwdriver between the flywheel and the starter when replacing a clutch, but if you're doing the crank pulley thats probably not enough.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
IIRC the tightening torque is 124 ft/lb.

I've clamped a set of vice grips on the flywheel and just let them wedge against the starter housing.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the oil leak ewas all coming from the oil filter housing that I'd 'gasketed' with loctite 518. The loctite had, over time, disappeared and slowly over time the leak of oil became larger. Now that I've installed a replacement engine oil cooler along with new oil filter housing and filter, the oil leaks have stopped (and the cooler now lives in a new location):

P2251235 - Relocated engine oil cooler and reluctor-style ignition control box on 1981 Saab 900 8V turbo sedan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here's the new oil filter housing:

P2251234 - New oil filter housing and cooler pipe connections on my 1981 Saab 900 8V turbo sedan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I relocated the oil cooler in preparation for installing the T16 intercooler I've been hinting I wanted to add to the car for ages. :cool: Now the oil cooler is out of the way and the hoses are replaced with brand new (longer) ones.

No oil leaks at all from the cooler or from the new hoses and fittings.

Craig.

·
Registered
669 Posts
With the car on stands remove the transmission dust cover and insert your choice of screw driver/wrench handle between one of the flywheel slots and rotate one of the wheels until the screw driver/wrench handle is firmly jammed in place, then remove crank pulley bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.