Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You wanna toss the floor rusters? Those ancient sponges eating away at your classic 900? Remove them already and find that the carpet doesn't fit anymore? Here's a solution.

DynaLiner, from the makers of Dynamat. Comes in different thicknesses, is OIL AND WATER RESISTANT! Applies easily with high-strength stickyback.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaliner.html

I bought the thickest available, 1/2" which matches the floor rusters pretty well. It comes in a 32"x54" roll, which is 12 sq ft. For those playing at home, you'll note that 12 square feet is very close but not quite enough... But I was able to divide it up into equal fourths which covers pretty much everything. After that I cut out a notch for the fronts (for the fender wells) which I am using to fill the gap between the two rear sections (over the tunnel).

This stuff was about $70 or so on ebay with shipping. Well worth saving a floor ;-)

Cutting the rear half:

One fourth:

Comparing size with floor rusters:

Finished product:

More pics to come of them installed.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I installed them and so far they've been working just fine. They come out to about the same thickness as the floor rusters, so the carpet fits back in the car just perfect.

Here's a picture of one of the rear sections installed:

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,030 Posts
awesome job! I noticed that there is a 1/8" thickness too which is perfect to use under door trims (stuck to the back of the door cards - not to the door itself perhaps?), and the 1/4" thickness would be good as a roof liner.

Eww, Summit Racing has the 1/2" size on Ebay for US$140!

Craig.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,030 Posts
Found the 12 mm version available new here in Oz for A$144 a box on Ebay! Getting a roll to do under the carpets in the 81 turbo sedan... Might also grab some of the 3 mm or 6 mm thick version to try out as a replacement for the very dead original bonnet/hood liner for the same car.

While on this subject, before installing the new material, what's a good substance to actually repaint the interior surface of the floor panels to sort out any surface rusting that might be evident when the old foam material is removed to expose the metalwork? POR-15? Or something different?

Craig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.