Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here in TSL a Flight Sim fanatic?

Today I had some free time and sat down and "dusted off my hangar". I hadn't flown in Flight Sim for a few weeks, and what better way to do it than flying SAABs?

First going airborne was the J29 Tunnan, the "flying barrel", with a stubby little fuselage and an anemic engine that feels too slow for a jet. One flight around the pattern in Uppsala and I put her back in storage.

Then it was time for the 91C Safir. This little aircraft is fun to fly, the engine sounds great and it even goes acrobatic. Even though it is slower then the Tunnan it feels faster! One short hop to a larger airport and I am happy to have the Safir in my hangar.

Next is the 105. Given that it is one of the few unnamed SAAB aircraft this bird flies very anonymously too: it is boring! The twin engine, side by side seat aircraft feels heavy and cumbersome. Given that it was designed as a trainer you can kinda understand why it flies without much passion. A 10 minute skip to another airport and I am hoping the next SAAB is more fun.

I swapped the 105 for a 340... oh no, here is another aircraft without a name... but it doesn't disappoint. The 340 is very utilitarian, a pick up truck of flying SAABs. I have it in passenger, cargo or ELINT (electronic intelligence) mode. I opt for the military version with the huge boom on top. The cabin was empty, therefore the aircraft was light. The two turbo props were more than apt to move this aircraft swiftly. It felt light at the controls and it cruised with comfort. One fifteen minute flight to another destination and I am still hoping for more fun...

Ah, the Gripen! Here is an aircraft with a proper name! Needless to say flying this beast was a blast! Afterburner take off, pull on the stick and this thing climbs! This nimble beast goes fast and asks you to push it harder. I pull crazy Gs going up, going down, the forward canards pitching next to me, vapor contrails forming on the leading edge of the engine intakes. One thing this aircraft is made for is maneuvering, as a proper fighter should. It doesn't like to cruise, it feels downright boring cruising, so after 15 minutes of flying like a madman on this thing I land it and hop on to the next one...

Here is the J35 Draken. The double delta wing design is unique, the looks imposing on the ground, a beast awaiting to be tamed. I climb in, follow the checklist procedures for start up (simulated by Bookmark Sim to a t on Flight Sim), going back and forth between the Swedish labeled controls and my cheat sheet in English, and the Dragon awakes.

The controls have a perfect balance, the engine feels just right on take off, the mass moves smoothly down the runway and at 250 km/h (metric gauges) I pull back on the stick and the big aircraft takes off. After retracting the gears I push the throttle to 100%, flip the RAT switch, the afterburner kicks in and the Draken accelerates. The acceleration is silky, an even push propelling me to Mach 1.7. We gain speed and height without noticing it.

Somehow this aircraft commands more respect than the Gripen. Yes, it's older, less powerful, less refined, but it's all these things that make it better. But its age doesn't matter: it's how this beast feels: fast enough, mean enough, good enough. It even cruises well. Somewhere over the North Sea, way past Norway I realize I have been flying the Draken for over 45 minutes. I turn around, my fuel tanks low, and make a smooth landing at Stavanger Air Base, Norway. Landing the Draken was more demanding than landing the Gripen. But the satisfaction was higher too...

·
Registered
303 Posts
These are nice shots! Loved the detail of having the labels in Swedish :p

I was really into Flight Simulators back to the days of SU27 Flanker. And then, I hit the real thing... I had the chance to visit the Dutch F16 Demo team. Here's me trying (and crashing) a "real" F16...

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Does anyone know of any good xbox flight sims?

My first computer game was Chuck Yeager's flight simulator in like 1987, so it's been a bit since I played one, but it would be awesome to check something out again.

Actually, I could probably get one for my PC, it's pretty nice and new.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I've been playing around with Microsoft Flight Simulator X for awhile and find it really cool. I find flying an amazing experience and will be looking to get my personal license in a few years, but I thought it would be good to play with simulators at first. MFS X is a great tool, but the graphics are a little out-dated. Is there anything else out there that's PC based and not overly costly?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
FSX is basically the cream of the crop when it comes to flight sims on PC. the other one is xplane, but it's aftermarket support isnt nearly as large as FSX. there are literally thousands of aftermarket aircraft and airports for FSX. FSX terrain can be used in xplane, but not aircraft.

and as far as the graphics in FSX, the software is capable of bringing a quad core system with 8gb of ram and SLI/crossfire to it's knees. if you think the graphics are bad, you need a better system ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a big fan of FSX yet. I am still using FS9 as I have beaucoup money in addons for FS9. I have so many airplanes, sceneries, weather and navigation addons it is ridiculous!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
FSX is basically the cream of the crop when it comes to flight sims on PC. the other one is xplane, but it's aftermarket support isnt nearly as large as FSX. there are literally thousands of aftermarket aircraft and airports for FSX. FSX terrain can be used in xplane, but not aircraft.

and as far as the graphics in FSX, the software is capable of bringing a quad core system with 8gb of ram and SLI/crossfire to it's knees. if you think the graphics are bad, you need a better system ;)
I just got FSX so I haven't tried messing with the graphics settings yet. I have a brand new tower that's pretty powerful so maybe all I need to do is enhance the settings for the game. Right now, the aircraft are detailed, but the surrounding landscape looks like something out of a game from 1999, lol. I've got some experimenting to do.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
My buddy used to work for Rockwell Collins and he was programing a 767 flight sim. One Sunday I was able to go out there and fly it. It was awesome. My dad''s friend from college is also a commercial pilot instructor out in Denver. That facility is amazing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Does anyone know of any good xbox flight sims?

My first computer game was Chuck Yeager's flight simulator in like 1987, so it's been a bit since I played one, but it would be awesome to check something out again.

Actually, I could probably get one for my PC, it's pretty nice and new.
Chuck Yeager sez "You bought the farm!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.