Saab Link Forums banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
yea well...didnt realize the diamter of the bilstein strut is 2.5inch so i need a like 3 inch sleeve to fit OVER it.

well they dont make them anywhere ive been looking for what feels like all day.

fuck. does any company make smaller struts for the 9000? like koni?

if they do im willing to trade my bilsteins for somebodys smaller struts. youd just have to get the spring perch welded back on. i made a good cut it wouldnt be to hard for a shop to do it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
ohh, n if anybody knows the diamter of the koni's that would be awesome.

if there 2 inch dimater then im sellling my bilsteins lol.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Right man! Shit sucks. But whatev now we know. Bilsteins don't work diameter is too big guess someone had to be the guniea pig. Next step is to see if koni yellows are smaller n if they are 2 then I will buy some

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
yeah well koni will not make a difference.

just did some reading and there just inserts and all you do is drill a hole, gut the old internals and pop the koni inserts in.

anyway you still use the same strut housing etc so the diameter of the strut is still 2.5 which is to big as theres no sleeve bigger then that.

looks like buying those bmw coils is the only way to go. god dammit i was really not trying not to have to go through all of that.

where the hell is that kid anyway? he should share his knowledge...

·
Registered
671 Posts
sound familiar

hell yeah! shit sucks! yeah well koni will not make a difference.

where the hell is that kid anyway? he should share his knowledge...
zach, good luck with your project, I feel yo!
just like me, in the hunt for coilovers for 9-3og...and so little info to be shared :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
There are certainly coilover sleeves with a 2.5" inner diameter, or 3" inner diameter. But that is irrelevant. The housing on a 9000 shock is less than 2", I just went and measured it. In fact, I took it a step further. It took me less than 10 minutes to turn what you see on the left into what you see on the right.

That is now pretty much ready for a 2" coil over sleeve.

My guess is that you tried to fit your sleeve over the housing with the dust cap in place or something? I know these are not bilsteins, and I didn't jack up my car and measure the bilsteins, but I recall they were pretty much the same housing as OEM. If that turns out to be wrong, just get some OEM housing to use for your project.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

as you can see it wont fit over the strut. the bilstein have a 2.5 diameter. that is a 2.5 sleeve. i cannot find a 3 inch sleeve ANYWHERE. if you can please give me the link so i can buy it!

i thought it was bad to use oem struts with coilover sleeves/springs because it cant handle going so low?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Balls, well that sucks.

I don't have a link to a 3" sleeve unfortunaly, but I've seen a variety of sizes in person before. Give a few manufacturers a call and see if they have anything. If not, use a koni instert in the OEM housing.

As far as using purely OEM, yes, I would say it is a bad idea, but you said you were purely going for looks :???:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Balls, well that sucks.

I don't have a link to a 3" sleeve unfortunaly, but I've seen a variety of sizes in person before. Give a few manufacturers a call and see if they have anything. If not, use a koni instert in the OEM housing.

As far as using purely OEM, yes, I would say it is a bad idea, but you said you were purely going for looks :???:
i am going just for looks. but i dont want the struts to blow out in a day and me crash and die or something crazy.

ive emailed multiple companys including some local ones that say they can fabricate anything so i will see what they say.

if no go i will do the koni inserts in a oem housing since you said its 2 inch diameter.

guess ill put these bilsteins up for sale haha useless to me now

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
hey zach, i guess thats why they call them Saab SNABS!! Thinking they better then you and shit. I'm about ready to bring mine to the bone yard just so i dont have that title
huh? who thinks their better then me?

dont bring the saab to the boneyard man if thats what your saying. who cares what people think of you? people who think there better then you can suck a dick

81 - 94 of 94 Posts