Saab Link Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I'm glad to see my former $800 SPG is getting such attention. Have you transferred the title yet? :)

Don't you want to treat the rust on the metal you're not removing, even it's just to slow it down and prevent migration to the new metal? Even if not POR-15, just some regular "rust-prevention" paint might help out some.
I will be transferring it tomorrow. I went to the DMV on Friday after lunch and the damn like would have taken 2 hours to get through.

As far as rust prevention, I decided against treating it ahead of time because I would have just burned it off when welding it. I will be using sealing it all up with etch primer or epoxy primer, and P.O.R.-15 before putting it all back together. Then I will undercoat the whole damn thing.

dude thats great! you should make up a .pdf or CAD file of that piece so the rest of us dont have to dick around with making it the right size...please? :lol:

looks like an easier fix than i initially thought it would be, especially if we have a template :wink: :lol:

Paul
No, I will not make any files, and I will start from scratch the next time I attempt this project (as I should have done this time) in order not to step on anyone's toes.

However if I do this again I will make my own template that will be based off of the shape of the bottom of a c900 in the control arm area, and this file will be public.

Also, its worth noting that I did not make my piece exactly the same as the design of the company that makes these professionally for profit and for the betterment of the rusty car community. My piece was only 18" long, whereas the safe-t-cap is more like 2 feet. The reason I did that was because the steel I bought was only 18" long. I just left off a bit from either end.

Looks like you have been spending alot of time in the garage. That piece came out awesome. Nice work!
Thanks! I was impressed that it came out that well. And with those tabs bent over it really felt like a pretty strong piece. Now that its welded in place, and with the other pieces welded in place it seems really, really strong.

I'll have to get the car airborne when I'm all done and see how it holds up.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Outstanding.

This makes me want to do my car preemptively.
If you keep those cavities clean of all the crap that tends to accumulate in there and if you get the battery in the trunk then you'll probably be fine!

Have you pressure washed those areas and under the hood yet? I know I bugged you to do that when we were removing the motor/trans.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, twice.
Good! I can't believe how much crap was in the cavity on this car. Small wonder it all rotted out...:roll:

JK VERY NICE JOB! (As usual) It turned out quite clean.

Care to share the pressure washer? I could REALLY use an underhood clean-up.
I bet he used his local you-spray-it type wash place. That's what I do for my automotive pressure washing needs.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Good! I can't believe how much crap was in the cavity on this car. Small wonder it all rotted out...:roll:

I bet he used his local you-spray-it type wash place. That's what I do for my automotive pressure washing needs.
I know but maybe I just wanted an excuse to see Palmer... GOD! :p

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I'd say a 16" by 24" piece of 14-16 gauge steel would give you plenty.

That will be long enough to make a peice that covers the same areas as the peice that you can buy elsewhere/on the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dude thats great! you should make up a .pdf or CAD file of that piece so the rest of us dont have to dick around with making it the right size...please? :lol
Paul
Of course you could always BUY one from me, rather then dick around trying to make one.
Perhaps you think its ok to steal it, but in my book its not. We spent a TON of time and money to R & D this kit so it fits correctly, every time. We invested capital into a CNC machine to keep accurate. We spent good $$ on CAD systems. We pay people good US wages, and spend our R & D money to try and help fix a common problem. We are a good company, a tax paying business, that has a lot of professional people working for us. I suppose I can contribute to the decline of the US manufacturing industry by going in the back and telling the guys there jobs are history, cause some guy wants to copy our stuff and not be bothered by the fact you have to lose your job, cause he didn't wanna pay you for your knowledge.
Gimme a break here. Its not beyond me to have someone cobble up a kit for themselves, hey I might have done it on my race cars, but to have him post it with all the correct dimensions so you don't have to buy one. Thats stealing in my book.
I suppose we could get the lawyer involved, but thats not my preferred route to take.
:idea:
Try contacting me, ask if there is a group buy possible, or a discount to the Saab Net group. Just dont steal from me.

Thanks

Dave

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
The last time I checked, you guys had the outline of the part in question POSTED on your website.

Also, there are no plans to make a file for anyone.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Alright, out of respect for autorust I have removed any references to his product. I have also deleted any line art that I had. I will start from total scratch next time, using the bottom of the car as a template as, no doubt, they did when they made their template.

I will work on my own template and eventually make a publicly available file for people if they wish to tackle this on their own. However I still suggest the other product that is available somewhere on the Internet. You can use my guide to help installing that product, or make your own product like I did.

Cheers!

No, I'm not, but I'm good friends with him, and actually just got off the phone with him.

There are no files, and none will be made.

The post is back up.

I thought this thread would be a good advertisement for you guys, because people would see how much work making their own is, and go to your site.

I guess I was wrong.
Yes, that is kinda what I though. But I can totally understand autorust's issue. Therefor I will make my own template from the shape of the control arm area of a classic 900 when I do this next time.

I definitely don't want to discourage a company from making a product to keep out cars on the road, and it would certainly be easier for about 99% of people to buy one of these from a website that is out there than try to tackle it themselves!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like I said in the original post I made, I an not offended that someone made there own and used it themselves. Hell, this is America, Land of the free. I have copied stuff for my race car, and made my own stuff wherever I could to save a buck.
What bothered me the most was someone suggesting you make a .cad or .pdf file and post it for anyone else to use.
Sorry if I sounded a bit pissy there, but please try to understand where I am coming from. We spend a lot of $$$ to make all this happen.
If you invent and design a good repair product, and someone wants to copy it and post it so nobody else has to pay, then its pretty crappy in my opinion.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am not trying to create a problem, just trying to defend my company.
I do appreciate the good information thats being posted in this thread. We cant seem to get the word out there enough.
Like I mentioned, if someone was to approach me about a group discount, I am sure I can make something happen that will help everyone.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
So, to sum it up very simply. Buy one from Dave at autorust, support his business. But if you are crazy like me then make one yourself and don't dick-around like I do :twisted:

Also, don't use images that you find on the internet as a basis for a template to make a product, just measure from the car, and cut to fit (which will take a bit of time).

Like I said in the original post I made, I an not offended that someone made there own and used it themselves. Hell, this is America, Land of the free. I have copied stuff for my race car, and made my own stuff wherever I could to save a buck.
What bothered me the most was someone suggesting you make a .cad or .pdf file and post it for anyone else to use.
Sorry if I sounded a bit pissy there, but please try to understand where I am coming from. We spend a lot of $$$ to make all this happen.
If you invent and design a good repair product, and someone wants to copy it and post it so nobody else has to pay, then its pretty crappy in my opinion.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am not trying to create a problem, just trying to defend my company.
I do appreciate the good information thats being posted in this thread. We cant seem to get the word out there enough.
Like I mentioned, if someone was to approach me about a group discount, I am sure I can make something happen that will help everyone.

Thanks

Dave
You have not offended me one bit, you're all good in that respect.

People can find dave's product by searching for safe-t-cap with your favorite search engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, to sum it up very simply. Buy one from Dave at autorust, support his business. But if you are crazy like me then make one yourself and don't dick-around like I do :twisted:

Also, don't use images that you find on the internet as a basis for a template to make a product, just measure from the car, and cut to fit (which will take a bit of time).
You have not offended me one bit, you're all good in that respect.

People can find dave's product by searching for safe-t-cap with your favorite search engine.
Thanks for understanding. I am not trying to stop anyone from making them self something, as I indicated, my only issue was the posting of a cad drawing from something we made.
If your up for doing all that work yourself, at home in your garage, then posting something for others to use, well so be it.
I have a company to run, and need to make $$$ so we can create more products and sell more kits

Thanks for understanding my point

Dave

·
Registered
714 Posts
The product it self was very good and easy to put on. Also it's obviously strong too.

Even after we had bought it all of us said "huh, it wouldn't take much to make one yourself, but that would be too much work."

It just rubs me wrong to see this go the way it has when you took the time to make your own and then the lawyer word ends up getting thrown around. On our own cars we do project like your rust fix all the time and say "I bet I can make that." and we go and make it for ourselves.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
So that's what you were doing Sunday.

You still shoulda let me know, I'd love to come watch. I'm good at holding beers and pom-poms.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Of course you could always BUY one from me, rather then dick around trying to make one.
Perhaps you think its ok to steal it, but in my book its not. We spent a TON of time and money to R & D this kit so it fits correctly, every time. We invested capital into a CNC machine to keep accurate. We spent good $$ on CAD systems. We pay people good US wages, and spend our R & D money to try and help fix a common problem. We are a good company, a tax paying business, that has a lot of professional people working for us. I suppose I can contribute to the decline of the US manufacturing industry by going in the back and telling the guys there jobs are history, cause some guy wants to copy our stuff and not be bothered by the fact you have to lose your job, cause he didn't wanna pay you for your knowledge.
Gimme a break here. Its not beyond me to have someone cobble up a kit for themselves, hey I might have done it on my race cars, but to have him post it with all the correct dimensions so you don't have to buy one. Thats stealing in my book.
I suppose we could get the lawyer involved, but thats not my preferred route to take.
:idea:
Try contacting me, ask if there is a group buy possible, or a discount to the Saab Net group. Just dont steal from me.

Thanks

Dave
trust me bud, i wont be spending $200 on a $20 piece of metal, especially from a guy that acts like you do :roll:

Paul

21 - 40 of 65 Posts