Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of adding foglights to my 1983 900S. The wiring kit (which I sourced from Two Stroke to Turbo in the UK via their Ebay shop) is for the 1984 and up Saab's which used the version of the fuse panel made for blade fuses. Earlier 900's used the earlier type of ceramic fuse with a different fuse panel and fuse layout...

I've worked out how to do the wiring to suit my car (it's quite simple - just means different terminals and different fuses are used), and once it's done I'm going to create a new page on my personal saab site to cover the topic. I have also found (from last time I pulled the dash out) that there's extra wiring inside with a socket for a switch and I now think that socket is for the switch that controls the extra red lamps at the rear (as rear foglights). I haven't checked this out yet to see if my hunch is true, but if it is I can connect the feed to the extra relay for the front foglights to the rear foglight wiring. Here's hoping but it's no big deal if not since I still need to run the pair of wires in from the fuse panel into the interior of the car anyway.

Another trick was figuring out how to set up the brackets for the lights themselves. I've ended up using two different sets of genuine Saab brackets to get the right positioning with respect to the towing points on the end of each chassis rail, etc. and I'll add details about that aspect as well.

The foglights I used are genuine Bosch ones, but they have a single bolt mounting in the middle of the rear of the casing, and that meant a two-bracket combination was needed to hold them in the right spot.

Regards,

Craig.

PS. Anyone else from Australia reading this forum? I'm going to the SCCA NSW branch meeting at Alec Mildren Saab next Tuesday night so anyone else going will be able to check out my foglight fitting and wiring work. I'm also going to try to get a set of indiglo gauge faces fitted over the weekend. I've had a set for some months now but haven't had the time to disassemble the dash to get the instruments out.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
c900 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of adding foglights to my 1983 900S. The wiring kit (which I sourced from Two Stroke to Turbo in the UK via their Ebay shop) is for the 1984 and up Saab's which used the version of the fuse panel made for blade fuses. Earlier 900's used the earlier type of ceramic fuse with a different fuse panel and fuse layout...
Finally I have a digital camera and have begun putting pics on the page for my foglighting project!

I've got more pics to add today showing the extra relay, location of the extra fuse, etc. and when I get my scanner hooked up again I will start scanning in the Saab installation instructions that came with the wiring kit.

Regards,

Craig.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts