Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some found out at fall festival, i have left the viggen home in NY and purchased a real car. Decided i needed to buy myself a present for landing a job at the at one of the top 50 gynecology/neonate hospitals in the country.

Meet my 2006 Apex Silver Evo 9 GSR SE with 46k miles.

of course its near impossible to find a stock evo for sale. but at least this one is tastefully, well thought out and mildly modded to an estimated 350 awhp.

Cobb cat back
Megan 3in downpipe
Megan resonated test pipe
Joe P. MBC
ETS 3.5in Intercooler
ETS Lower Intercooler Pipe
EBAY shifter base bushings
Speed Source shifter cable bushings
235/45 Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Girodisc Magic pads (may switch out for the set of stoptechs i have)
Camber set to -1.7 front, -1.5 rear.
Whiteline 24mm f/r sway bars
GT Worx springs
Bilstein HD's
Innovate LC-1

the car is road tuned (done by a local racer near the previous owner), and is VERY rich. When i have some time/more money after paying off some of my moving costs i need to get a pro tune.

only plans as of right now consist of:

Torque solutions engine roll stopper (front engine mount)
Torque solutions propeller shaft bushings
Torque Solutions Poly exhaust hangers (to stop the exhaust from banging the rear diff)
Beatrush Rear diff bushings
Perrin stout mounts (factory swaybar brackets are garbage and the bar can actually slide up and down)
Sparktech coil on plug
Either an aftermarket O2 housing, or a MAP O2 dump downpipe

nothing crazy just want a solid 360-370awhp for the next year or 2 on the stock turbo.

this car handles like nothing i can describe, it makes the viggen feel like a mac truck, beats the viggen in every single category, almost in the seat comfort area even. only area it loses in is the 22mpg highway LOL. but im sure i can up that 2-3 mpg with the coil on plug and a real tune.

i can finally check the second car off my car bucket list.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Nice.

Well of course a 2006 Evo would beat a Viggen in every category.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. I think you need to lose that fugly yellow NY plate and get one of the 'custom' ones.
its only temporary since i didnt meet the rhode island residency requirements at the time of purchase.

have to convert my license and everything in a few weeks. i also have to buy a high flow cat to pass the stupid two speed idle sniffer test here.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
this car handles like nothing i can describe, it makes the viggen feel like a mac truck, beats the viggen in every single category, almost in the seat comfort area even.
Exactly how I felt going between my 370z and the ng900; a well tuned modern chassis and a good powertrain make the car in my opinion. Congrats on the new car, you definately earned it after all your hard work. I take it that you are going to wait a little and get your money's worth out of the stock turbo before something bigger gets bolted on down the road?

I looked at the STi and Evo but I could not find a clean low mileage example and they are super common on the west coast. Sometimes I wish I had given them more consideration but that is typical car enthusiast syndrome anyway. :)

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Driving my friends EVO taught me something about steering directness and feedback that made getting back into my Viggen very sad for me lol.

Bang for the buck, as a modding platform the EVO is pretty hard to beat. He is running 10's with whatever he calls his setup, FP green or FP red turbo, some shit like that. Has is running on E85.

Congrats and good luck with it.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idle sniffer test in RI or NY? I've never had to pass any kind of emissions test with anything I've owned...
RI. i can only stay registered in NY for 6 months before my insurance will get cancelled. RI does low speed dyno, but AWD gets an "exemption" down to a 2 speed idle sniff since they have no AWD dynos.

I take it that you are going to wait a little and get your money's worth out of the stock turbo before something bigger gets bolted on down the road?

I looked at the STi and Evo but I could not find a clean low mileage example and they are super common on the west coast. Sometimes I wish I had given them more consideration but that is typical car enthusiast syndrome anyway. :)
Baby steps, yes. its quick now, but the chassis handles this power level so well its not even funny. it feels slow till you check the speedo mid corner. the stock turbo can almost be pushed far enough to blow the stock block. 10cm exhaust side i believe? and i still have instant on boost and full spool by 3k, its quite interesting.

i was an STi fanboy for the longest time, until i started actually shopping and found a ridiculous amount of them being sold with built motors, high price and low miles because people are blowing stock ringlands left and right even on accessport maps.

plus having 360-380whp from an exhaust/ic/intake/tune is kind of hard to beat. the special edition interior is also a plus.

i bought it from an older guy who im more inclined to believe didnt beat the hell out of the car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Jealous Jealous Jealous... I had it's distant Great uncle the Mitsubishi Starion... had big plans for it with lots of Evo parts but its chassis wasn't up to par with its looks unlike the Evo... fml guess i'll have to follow your lead and eventually get an Evo

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have never been a fan, always thought the steering was to twitchy (is better then 900/9-3's') & the interior was poorly made/cheap & exterior was to boy-racerish.......

BUT.... it is one of the best chassis out there, excellent handling. A instructor told me it was the most fun he has ever had in a car, & he has owned boxters, caymans & a few other cars. He could carry a LOT more speed through turns........

22 MPG is very good for these cars, friend would usually get upper teens on a tank of gas. The same friend totalled his one winter day as he was bragging about how well the car handled to me just a few days prior & said it was easy to rotate. The moron decided to rotate the car with 4 adults in there.... with summer tires & sub 40 degree weather.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.